Comcast Speedboost?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jimsowden, Aug 2, 2006.

1. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Ok, so I've been seeing these commercials for comcast HSI, which I have, touting a speedboost feature that ups your bandwidth to 12 mbit when downloading large files. I barely get 5. I tried to see if it would kick in on a 200mb trailer off apple's site, hosted by akamai, and never got past 650kbps. (5.2mbit). In my mind, that's the apex of download optimization, and comcast is just lying. Anyone with similar experiences? Can't wait for that FiOS 15mbit sustained.

2. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Dude, be happy. I get 1Mbit if I'm lucky. I used to be getting 100kbit/sec.. your connection does not suck. :rolleyes:

3. jimsowden thread starter macrumors 68000

jimsowden

But they're saying it's much faster than it is. I just wonder if anyone can testify to the opposite.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

if you pay for 12Mbps and get 5, yeah, that sucks.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

This is why I like DSL. I pay for 6mbit and always have 6mbit.

6. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I don' know what you talkin' 'bou, I'z gettin' awwwl dem KBS's earlir last night. I wuz downloadin' like a biz-nach, baby! 900 kbs! Fo' shizzle! you best be upgradin' befoe you wipe out, white boy! Fo Rizzle!

7. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Hahahahahahahaha! Brilliant post.

Although you would be keeping it more reals without all the apostrophes. :D

8. DMPDX macrumors 6502

Word. I saw the commercial as well and subscribe to comcast HSI as well. Im pulling 7.5 mbps bursting. But definetly no 12. THat would be very nice, but its just not happening.
    -dsm

9. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Comcast annoys me. I never had any issues with iTunes being slow on my 3Mbps DSL connection, but my 6Mbps Comcast connection takes 10x longer. :mad:

Those ads are misleading too, with DSL, you don't get shared bandwidth! :mad: Even if there was any speed degradation, it wouldn't be that much, probably not even noticeable, or barely.

Stupid Slowsky's.

10. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

If no one in your area was using their Comcast connections, it could supposedly burst to 12mbps (or 16 on the high-end).

Also, Comcast usually "rolls in" product updates around the country. One region gets it one week, another the next, etc... If they're advertising it already, they probably should have already done it, but you never know. That said, you should never trust anything Comcast tells you.

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i agree with realityisterror - don't trust anything comcast tells you.

in any case, i usually get 5Mbps and my downloads are pretty darn quick... i've never actually measured a download's speed but i'm never dissatisfied with how long they take.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I get 5 mb from Cox and I can't complain, it's way faster then dial up and the speeds are constant.

13. DMPDX macrumors 6502

I have 3 neighbors in my neighborhood total, one has AOL DSL, and the other has some rediculous FIOS company pulling 24 mbps or some outrageous number. None the less I am still nnot getting those speeds. I acttually just did a speed test and got just under 8. My connection has seemed to go up in the past ocuple of weeks.

14. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I just tested my connection with Comcast. This was over WiFi, but that shouldn't have any effect.

Attached Files: