Comcast upgrades to 6 megabits

Discussion in 'Community' started by jimsowden, Jul 28, 2005.

1. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I heard from a friend that comcast was upgrading their speeds from 4 megabits in my area to 6. This may be because I live in a fios test town, and they need to compete with the 15 down fios brings. At any rate, I went home, power cycled my modem, and low and behold I started to pull 7400 kbps down off speed tests.

This one: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

Woo Hoo!

2. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I am so jealous. I only get 3 megabits down on verizon's network. If only I could get 6 megabit downstream, imagine all the downloading possibilities.

3. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

I'm getting 11.0 Mbps right now with Comcast. :confused:

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The only thing speakeasy offers in my area is T1 :eek:

Out of curiosity, what is the upload speed on your connection? My results were 2.5 down and 415 up.

edit: I forgot to put how much I paid... $24.99

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Wow. I was getting 5.5 megabits for a while but then it dropped and I got 4.6.

Upload speed is a crappy 355 kilobits though.

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, same here. DSL is turning into a joke.

8. jimsowden thread starter macrumors 68000

jimsowden

my upload is like 384. Nothing to brag about at all. But I just ran the test on my hardwired PC downstairs and got around 8400kbps.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nah, just depends what DSL you are using. I was using a 1.5 mbps ADSL connection three years ago.

10. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Download Speed: 4709 kbps (588.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 355 kbps (44.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Earthlink Cable (which really means road runner :p)

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I am getting 700 kbps down and 180 kbps up - speeds that I have never reached before.

I would kill for Cable or DSL or anything...

12. rkristich macrumors member

I got 3138 kbps download and 362 kbps upload. I wish it was a little faster, but it could be much worse. I have horrible memories of using AOL dial up after Hurricane Charley. We had no cable internet for about 3 months.

I have Comcast by the way, and they actually kept trying to charge us during the time when we had no cable internet. And there wasn't anything on our end we could do to fix it, we had to wait for their people to come and repair the lines in my neighborhood.

Out of all the people to be hit by Charley my neighborhood got pretty much everything fixed last: power, phone and cable. We waited two weeks for power, three or four for phone and as I said, three months for cable. Never was I so glad to have at least have satellite tv instead of cable. We had a new dish up within a month. My tv obsessed neighbor was very jealous.

13. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

My local provider is a racket. I pay $38/month for cable internet that gets 1.7mbps.
    I would switch so fast if I could.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

4.7Mb with Roadrunner, I'm pretty satisfied :).

scem0

15. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

Why does me having 11.0 Mbps seem outrageously high? :confused:

16. jdechko macrumors 68040

I have DSL at the office (which is where I do most of my computing) and Cable at home (where I do only a little web surfing). DSL has definitely fallen by the wayside compared to cable. They seem to have hit a snag in improving their network. When I get a choice (when I move out of my apartment) we will definitely go with Cable. (Plus the fact that you dont have to have a phone line for cable).

iMatt, you're probably not getting 11.0 Mbps from the internet. My guess is that you are using a wireless connection to a router running at 'b' speeds. The actual speed to the router is slower.

17. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Does seem awful high assuming it's cable and not fiber optic. Verizon just put down fiber optic in my area and is now offering a 15mbits/sec for $45. An amazing deal. Just have to figure out a way to migrate from the earthlink cable with email addresses in use. Don't want to have to pay an extra $10 to keep email addresses. But 15mbits/sec is drool worthy.

Current connection: 4.7 mbits down, 350 kbits up

Edit: the Verizon service is the Fios service mentioned by jimsowden. Sorry didn't see it before.

18. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm still getting about 3Mbs (but that's over my b wireless connection. I'll check wired later). What surprised me was the 1Mbs upload speed; I thought I was closer to 512K or 768K. Nice.

19. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I get 5940 down and 352 up with comcast cable. Thats pretty good I guess, but I expect ISP prices to go way down, or speed to go way up within the next 2 years.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have comcast, but I got 4880 down and 351 up.

I'll try later when I'm not rendering and in the evening and see how things compare...

Nice stat site though - thanks for the link.

D

21. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 1282 kbps (160.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 316 kbps (39.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

on a $27 1.5mbit down/384kbit up dsl plan. when our contract expires im gonna see if i can convince my parents to get the next speed up, 3mbit down/512 up for $37 :D
    not as fast as roadrunner, but is it worth $50 for internet? even if it is 6mbit down
    oh, btw, sbc yahoo!

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

Huh. Just checked my wired connection (Comcast, by the way) and got 4.8Mbs download, but only 341 Kbs upload. Strange that the upload speed was so much slower, only a few minutes later, on wired. :confused:

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Not at all - it just depends on the Provider. I work for our SP up here and currently we're pumping 8 Mbps to the home over basic DSL with 1.5 km loop lengths. For subscribers of our digitial TV service, we're pumping 3 Mbps to each set top box, leaving 1.5 Mbps over for High Speed. Currently we're in the middle of deploying ADSL 2+/VDSL, lowering our loop lengths to 900, and will be offering 20 Mbps+ from it in the near future for faster High Speed, more STBs and HD content over DSL as well. It's the first stage of out FTTH project... Huge upfront costs, but the beenfits are immense - and luckily the costs won't be as bad as they might be for other Providers, as we have one of the most extensive fibre infrastructures in the entire world here (and were the first to build it as well!)

Mind you, we've always been spoiled up here. :cool:

24. toothpaste macrumors 6502

Download Speed: 4718 kbps (589.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 358 kbps (44.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

I ran the test 3 times and the results varied. This is the slowest result so far.

25. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

When I get home tonight, I'll have to reset my modem and see if we got an upgrade in our area, too. I was at around 3.5MB down and 500-ish up last time I check, I think.