Comcast ups speed to 4Mbps

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by zim, Feb 23, 2005.

1. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Okay so I got an email from comcast... "Just when you thought the Internet couldn't get any faster,..." So I do the powering down of the modem, even did a reboot just for fun... prior I ran a test on my previous speed which was about 2.5 - 2.5xxMbps now I get somewhere between 2.5xx and 3.5Mbps (depending on what bandwidth speed test I use). :D

Then they go onto saying no extra fee blah blah blah... okay seriously, don't lie to me comcast. If no extra fees then why has my bill gone up consistently each year???

2. BigDogg macrumors member

BigDogg

I thought Comcast made the claim they were running 100% broadband?
    Oh well as long as its faster its fine with me. Is the only thing you have to do is restart your modem to get the added speed benifits? Is this to all Comcast users? :confused: :confused:

3. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

They have a list of when and where it will happen here:
    http://faq.comcast.net/faq/answer.jsp?name=18226&cat=Services&subcategory=1&CM.src=email

If you pay them extra you can get up to 6Mbps... extra = $$$. So far I have not noticed a big difference... going to purchase some songs from iTMS, should see a difference there because they have faster servers.

Just notcied that the upstream has been increased too... 384Kbps vs 256Kbps

4. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

Saturday I am getting a 1Mbps/256KBps cable modem installed for 40.00 a month. GCI offers up to 4Mbps, yet that costs 200.00 a month.

5. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

I'm at 3mbps with comcast now. I havn't had the chance to test the speed latley. And while 3 is good...4 is better.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It sounds as though Comcast broadband is just like their Cable service. Like to increase the price yearly no matter what. Competition just doesn't seem to control the delight for profit against service. Earthlink has remained the same for several years now.

7. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

The problem is that there is no competition for Comcast. In my area we have comcast but in the next town over they have adelphia.. so you either move or go with another arrangement such as DSL or 56k eek... so comcast can keep increasing without fear. Braodband Cable TV included, should be going down in price not up.. just does not make sense to me.

8. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

SBC Yahoo

I have sbc yahoo and they raised their up speed too recently and it does make a big difference when uploading of course. Kinda odd though that both companies have done it.

9. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

comcast upgraded me a few weeks ago. good deal. i feel the subtle difference. make sure you guys test your speed at sitees like http://www.dslreports.com/stest to see where you are. though, i would've liked a faster upload speed.

10. BigDogg macrumors member

BigDogg

I just did the test over at dlsreports (link in post above) and I have a 2577 kbps download and 265 kbps upload. I am using Comcast on my ibook with the wireless airport card. Is it normal for the wireless to be much slower than a straight connection? It seems my Dell desktop is much faster? :confused:
    Post the speeds of your connection

11. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

on BBR my download speed was:

3324906 bps, or 3246 kbps; a 405.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
    my upload speed was: 294811 bps, or 287 kbps.

it was considered faster than the "very fast" reading.

it was tested while running nothing but safari on my tibook 667 w/1gig of memory. tibook is connected to my switcher, which also connects my powermac (not running any internet apps), the switcher is connected to my airport extreme router, which sends wi-fi signal to an hp desktop upstairs and my dell laptop (not running any internet apps). and the router is of course connected to the cable modem.

i'm assuming it wouldn't be as fast on a wifi powerbook cause 802.11g connects at 54Mbps compared to a 'wired' 10/100 ethernet connected powerbook. not really sure though.

12. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I got this e-mail from comcast like a MONTH ago and have noticed NO difference WHATSOEVER.

13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

things seem a bit faster here with the "upgraded" comcast.
    The upgrade, i think, is what caused my weird "internet is there but not there" problems....
    still, faster internet is worth four days of headaches and stress...oh wait, not for the bit of a boost i got.
    oh well.
    i guess i can't complain. comcast is still much better than rcn ever was.

14. BigDogg macrumors member

BigDogg

I have also recieved the upgrade and do not notice a difference. One website said my dell desktop has a 4 megabits download, but it does not seem to be any faster than before the "update" besides the numbers.