Comedy Central Issues, Flip4Mac and Popwire

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rspeaker, Jul 17, 2006.

1. rspeaker macrumors 6502

I know there have been many, many threads on this... but I just can't figure it out. I have Flip4Mac installed (by running the Installer in Rosetta, and then making Safari run in Rosetta.) After that failed to work, I installed the Popwire component, but same thing: won't work. This is the site ( http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/browseresults.jhtml?showId=934 ) I am using. The player will open and load all but the end of it, but when I press play, nothing plays, and it only takes the scroller two or three seconds to go across the bar. I tried saving the movies, but naturally QT couldn't open them because they're incomplete files.

Is there ANYONE who can help me? I'm frustrated as all get out. Thanks.

EDIT: I just found the universal beta for Flip4Mac... the site still doesn't work.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The videos buffer down to the last two seconds. This behavior is indicative of Windows Media 10 or DRMed content. Neither Flip4Mac nor Popwire can play them.

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

If you visit the Flip4Mac official forums, you will find that this is a recent known issue with Comedy Central. About a month ago, they started placing advertisements before the actual clips, unknowingly interfering with the Flip4Mac playback system.

There is a certain "workaround" that works perfectly (I did this myself a few weeks ago when the problem appeared, and the videos have played fine ever since. This needs to be done only once, and can be easily reverted.). Posted by rackerby at the Flip4Mac forums:

Meanwhile, the developers of Flip4Mac are well aware of this problem and are now working with Comedy Central to fix this issue. Posted by CraigS at the Flip4Mac forums:

So there you have it. If you feel comfortable doing something minute in Terminal, go right ahead and do the patch-up yourself. Otherwise, you will have to wait patiently while the developers work on it.

I hope this helps.

irmongoose

4. rspeaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Would you be able to tell me where the /etc/hosts file is located, or how to edit it in Terminal? I can't find that folder/file with a search, and I haven't had much experience with Terminal, either.

Thanks in advance.

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Here is a method that does not require the Terminal. Go to Finder>Go>Go to folder. Type in "/etc/" (without the quotes) and a file simply called "hosts" will be there. You can open this file in TextEdit and do the modifications as written above.

irmongoose