Comedy Central's 100 Greatest Stand Up Comics of All Time

Discussion in 'Community' started by trebblekicked, Apr 29, 2004.

1. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

LINK

so comedy central did a mini-series on the 100 greatest stand ups ever. pretty interesting stuff. i was introduced to a handful of comics i never paid attention to before (redd fox and bill hicks in particular).

the biggest shocker for me was eddie izzard WAY down the list (#75). if you ask me, he's top 25 for sure.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Waaaaaay to USA-centric (obviously).

What about Phil Nichol and Rich Hall anyway?

Mark Thomas should be in that list, so should Phil "Buzzcocks" Jupitus...

Also my all time favourite, the Pub Landlord himself..... Al Murray.

I teched a run of Al's show "My Gaff, My Rules" as a dep for his usual guy, I kept missing cues cos I was laughing so much... :D :D :D :D

3. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Has Eddie Izzard ever been on Comedy Central? ;) :D

4. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Ok, while I agree that there are other great non-US comedians (Eddie Izzard comes to mind), you have to realize:

Comedy Central is on basic US cable. Not UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or Azerbaijan. It might be transmitted to other countries, but it is basically a US station. I bet you anything if Channel4 did a similar story in the UK, it would be UK centric if not exclusive to the UK.

So please lay off, those are great American stand up comedians and when a UK channel gets around to putting together a similar list, they get to pick all the ones from your list.

I love Eddie Izzard, as a matter of fact, I think he could easily be funnier to me than Richard prior, but only because I can relate to him and understand him. However, here in the US (where Comedy Central is from) Richard Prior was such a comedic pioneer that he basically opened the door for generations of comedians to come. I might not like all of his material (I don't), but I recognize his talent and determination.

So that's what I think. ;)

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i have to agree on the their choices though there's always a huge subjective spin when putting a list in order. yes, there's not enough eng's on it but hey, us americans invented comedy... ;)...of course, it was unintentional...

i feel pretty lucky to have seen richard pryor, robin williams and sam kinison all in the same night at the comedy store back in the 80's. pryor dropped in to try out new material, williams was in his manic coke phase and was literally walking across the tabletops and sam was the unknown guy who closed the show. i thought sam was incredibly funny...too bad he burned out so quickly.

i saw eddie izzard last time he was in l.a. and he was really good though i think his " dressed to kill" special was better.

i don't know if he does stand-up but ricky gervais is one of the funniest guys alive. his last appearance on letterman left me crying...
    :D

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I wasn't laying on (can I say that) there are some genius comics on that list, Pryor, Williams, Bill Hicks, Dennis Leary... they've all left me helpless with laughter, and of course I understand why the list is US biased, I was just joining in the conversation... :D

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Sounds like an awesome event.

Kinison didn't burn out I thought. The way I heard it, he found religion (again) and a wife and was killed by a drunk driver.

After watching that special I wanted to go watch Back to School (with Dangerfield and Kinison(man I wish I had history teachers like that)) and See No Evil, Hear No Evil (Pryor and Wilder)

8. glosterseagul macrumors regular

9. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Pryor, Bruce, Allen - deserve to be there no question.

Chat-show hosts make inferior stand-ups: their pace is pedestrian, their material no longer cuts it.

But funniest of all seems to be that apparently there have only ever been 77 funnier stand-up comics than Sinbad ( :confused: )

My carpets are funnier than him.

10. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

dennis miller, chris rock, dave chappelle, cedric the entertainer all shouldn't be on that list in my opinion.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I watched 100-81, 80-61, 60-41, 20-1. I missed 40-21. I assume it included the comics of note that I didn't see mentioned, such as Steven Wright.

12. yahooz macrumors member

It did not surprise me that they picked richard pryor as the number one comedian. Not that I find his humor that funny.... george carlin at no. 3 did not surprise me either...

Roseanne at anywhere above the top 85 surprised me -- anyone that annoying who also does not make funny jokes should not be in the top 10....

13. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

speaking of steven wright, i just bought tickets to see him in seattle...is anyone else going?

14. Awimoway macrumors 65816

That's a pretty good list. My current favorite, Mitch Hedberg, didn't make the list, but he's not a big name.

15. trebblekicked thread starter macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

"dress to kill" was required viewing at my college's theatre department. by sophomore year, most everyone could recite a bit or two from that show.

My sketch group recently played san francisco, and we recreated the opening scene from the D2K DVD (the cable car ride and tour of alcatraz). the phrase "san francisco, town, city of gleaming spires, people live here- Golden Gate Bridge!" was uttered more times than i care to say.

Mitch Hedberg is pretty good. I'm also wondering what happened to Harland Williams and Jeff Dunham (both great standups in their own right)

16. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Andrew "Dice" Clay (95) above Gallagher (100)?!?!?

I demand a recount!

17. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i can't believe clay made the list at all..

18. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Why?

Dennis Miller is a very good comic. He is a bit long winded and over some people's head if not everyone's head at some points, but he is very funny.

Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle are two of a very small number of original comics out there right now. I saw Dave in his latest tour, and he was great. He was doing straight stand-up and not the stuff from his show. Have you ever seen Chris' specials? Chris is one of the funniest if not the funniest original comic performing today.

I don't have a problem with Cedric being on the list. I don't find him all that funny, but i can see how some might.

19. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I was surprised by that one too. What was funny to me was the clips of him they showed. They showed the standup that has been on comedy central before. He was wearing a leather belt with a tracksuit, and that was the funniest part.

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Roseanne was very funny when she first appeared on the scene. Her whiny housewife routines made her a novel act as a comedian. But how long can you listen to whining? I think her impact on the field of stand-up made her important (deserving her place on the list), despite her lack of lasting ability to be funny.

I think it was a list of the greatest stand-up comics, not necessarily the funniest, so we get to define great as we see fit, and important is one of the meanings we might choose.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I find it sad finding Bob Hope as number 25. He is once of the greatest of all time. His great accomplishment is that he didn't have to use unclean language to be funny. His comedy what of current events and every day occurrences.

22. Awimoway macrumors 65816

He was very popular and likable. But if you really listen to his jokes, they were terribly bland and unfunny. I'm not at all saying you have to be crude or profane to be funny, and I respect Hope tremendously as a person, but he was not a great comedian. A great entertainer, but not a great comedian. I wouldn't have put him on the list at all.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I could say that about most those on the list of 100. Probably just more of a current events list. Some I have never even hear of them. They are all really only entertainers. That is what the public expects. I would also add Lucy Ball of "I Love Lucy."

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

25. Awimoway macrumors 65816

This article influenced my thinking on Bob Hope:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2086499/