Comet fireworks for 4th of July

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Jun 3, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

This is just soooooooo cool.

The comet impacter sent up by NASA will send its projectile to impact a comet in the wee hours of the 4th of July est. It should be visable from Calf to NY (Calf late on the 3rd, after midnight on morning of the 4th). We will need atleast binoculars and of course clear skies. Read the link.

Link

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This sounds very exciting. For the first time in history we may have natural fireworks. The most important thing is that the projectile will make contact with the comet. Hopefully it will provide a rich source if data for the scientists to study.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Very cool stuff - but its a shame its going to require binoculars.

I remember a few years back there was a guy who wanted to take all the unused ICBMs, launch them and have them explode in space for a global fireworks display....

D

4. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Now that would be a move in the right direction, and the fireworks would be awesome. Just gotta watch moving the moon! Tide changes and all. :p

5. The Past macrumors 6502

The countdown has begun! Six days and five hours and the webcast will be on. Can't wait.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It sucks that I'll be away from a internet connection when this happens....hopefully I'll be able to see it when I get back.

D

7. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Comet targeted by Deep Impact has an outburst

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0506/27deepimpact/

In a dress rehearsal for the rendezvous between NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft and comet 9P/Tempel 1, the Hubble Space Telescope captured dramatic images of a new jet of dust streaming from the icy comet.

I think the biggest challenge of the whole mission is going to be hitting the target.. :eek:

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thats a pretty amazing jet, iam surprised by just how large it is and the breifness, like a geyser here on earth.

9. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

10. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

If I was back in Colorado with my Telescope I'd be all over this. But allas, Seattle is too bright, and I've got other things to do July 4th.

11. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

"Weapon Away!"

Looks like a GO!

Link

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"The latest time prediction (updated June 29th) is that the impact will occur at 10:52:12 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time Sunday night July 3rd, plus or minus about 10 seconds, as seen from Earth (that's 5:52:12 Universal Time July 4th)" http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/article_1522_1.asp

Hoping it will be dark enough where we are to check it out.
    X

13. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Sorry.. but it has to be said...

Never in a million years did I expect to see someone say, in all seriousness, "Seattle is too bright". Of course I know what you meant, but it struck me funny. Ahem. Ne'ermind.

Light pollution is a huge problem in great chunks of North America. I'm not even going to bother trying to watch, as I live way too close to an airport which is always lit up

14. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Please remember that many of the scientists involved with the mission have said that the impact is highly unlikely to be visible to the naked eye.... a large telescope will probably be needed to see any effect of the impact. :)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

ive been tracking this on Dashboard for a while, then i read it was happening on Monday i looked at the distance left and hah, so close now.

all i need now is a working telescope

16. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

DIRECT HIT!

Confirmation was received that the impact module hit the comet. The fly-by module should be able to analyze the particles and gas emitted and tell us first-hand what is inside the comet.

18. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

This is incredible!! On a side note i was watching the live NASA coverage, and noticed nearly everyone had powerbooks... :D

19. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, here's the coolest image yet: a Quicktime movie from the impact spacecraft's point of view:

link

20. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Watched the progress last night (Pacific Coast time) on the Nasa channel. Exciting to see the probe and it's images live. Just wished the camera person could have been more focused on the action and what the people were cheering about instead of on the scientists and Engineers themselves.

Anyway, I am glad that all went well for the project and happy that nothing went wrong.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That video link is awesome. Kudos to NASA for a successful mission. Hope that the craft will provide valuable information, sounds like they have a lot of data to analyze. Were you able to see anything Doctor Q?

22. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

I read an article earlier that a woman is sueing NASA for 300 Million because its her comet or something.

23. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Well, that's ludicris.

It's not destroyed, it just has another ding.

24. emw macrumors G4

emw

Here's a link to the article.

As for the success of the mission - amazing. Think about what just happened - we sent a probe a couple of million miles into space to hit a relative speck of dust traveling at about 23,000 miles per hour. Wow.

It was cloudy last night, but I'm hoping I'll be able to hook up the telescope tonight to see something.

Also, in other comet news, let's not forget that Stardust will be returning to Earth next year with samples from the Comet Wild 2. That should be interesting...