Comic-Con 2006

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tanglewood, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

San Diego Comic-Con International kicks off this Thursday and I was wondering if anyone else is going or wished they could or whatever?

I'm excited and can't wait for preview night on Wednesday.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Every year I tell myself I'll finally go this year. Then I don't.

But I have friends who go regularly and if I'm looking for something in particular to buy I can ask them to keep their eyes out for it.

3. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I really wish I could go.

But I will be at Wizard World Chicago and Botcon this year...so that pretty much takes up all my convention time and finance for the year

4. Tanglewood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

It's getting bigger every year and more diverse. Instead of just comics they are branching out to pop culture in general. Bungie is going to be there to promote Halo 3 and who could miss Samuel L. Jackson with Snakes on a Plane?

If you finally decide to go this year it should have fun. Besides its nice to get out of LA once in a while.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Nice, but not always possible. With the construction they are doing on the San Diego Freeway up here, traffic speed is appoximately 0 mph most of the time. So if I leave now, perhaps I'll make it there for next year's Comic-Con. :(

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I went, Wednesday, Thursday, and today. I just got back. It's massive. It was my first "Con" as the regulars seem to call it. I have never seen such a mixture of people. I made a mistake though in buying only one of some things because apparently some people would love to buy things off me. I had a blast though, but I am pretty tired.

The one thing I didn't get to do was see Samuel L. Jackson. I'm not sure where he went, but I missed him. I was probably running around the Superman displays like a dork.

I am going next year but I am going to pass the seedy motel that we stayed at and get a way better place. That's what we get for getting the room late. We were volunteers and even that was a huge hassle of waiting in line and such.

Tons of free stuff though and I got a couple of t-shirts. I bought a sketch of Venom and then the guy gave me two more sketches for free. I thought that was cool. I also bought a t-shirt because it seemed like the right thing to do. Then I hit up the Superman stuff. I didn't spend a massive amount of money, but I saw some guy buy the USPS Collector's stamp things $20 each. He paid $500 or something for whatever one of each they had left. Also some guy bought a couple of SideShow replicas and spent over a grand. That's just crazy!

Fun times.

7. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Yeah...I would have asked for an Alternators Nemesis Prime from Hasbro :( Now I have to hunt down a pricey one on eBay

8. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

9. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I'm there now. Great so far. Traffic is bad, as usual, but the weather is great.

10. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i went yesterday. that was my second time going. i went after 4:00 so i got in for 10 bucks

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I went yesterday (Saturday).

Damn, it was fun, although only my first time. I'll download the pictures from my camera and post 'em up for people.

I attended the Firefly/Serenity shindig at 2000 thru 2200. Great movie. (It was a documentary about getting Serenity after Firefly was canceled.) :)

12. Tanglewood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

must keep going....

So I've been at the Con everyday so far from 8am-7pm except for Friday because of a wedding at 6pm (open bar!!), so it's getting close to 48 hours spent inside the convention center. I've spent the majority of that in the Small Press Pavilion getting drawing/sketches from everyone there. So after three days I've gotten about 95% (or about 130) of the artist. So I'll be going back on Sunday to finish up and to search out some deals. I'll be putting them online soon so everyone can take a look.

Some of the highlights so far has to be the panels I attended. WB's panel on their new CGI movies: Ant Bully, Happy Feet, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The quick draw panel (funniest hour and a half at the convention) and the Mike Judge Panel that ran from 11pm-1am (so it got out about a little over an hour ago).

The ultra cool moment was when Robert Kirkman gave me $100 worth of comics for free since I had his first running of his first comic book series, Battle Pope.

The umm...k moment was when I found out that the line at the Pirates of the Caribbean booth was for a paper bag with string handles.

Best Promotion the new Tick DVD booth with their blue Spoon hand outs.

Most annoying thing at SDCCI: The PA announcer "You in the grey shirt! There is no running in the Convention Hall. I mean you!"

Biggest Purchase (so far): A hundred dollar painting from the small press pavilion.

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Here's a link to my Comic-Con pictures that I'm willing to share.

ftp://nichrome.serveftp.com/Comic-Con/

These are fairly low-quality ones... 1024x768 medium JPEGs. I have higher-quality ones if people really want.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A friend of mine who took along my "shopping list" just got back. She found none of the items I was looking for. :(

But there's always next year! :)

15. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I'm hoping to go next year. This year I was just too busy. (Having just returned from vacation, and getting ready for another vacation in two weeks)

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Gee, szark, you have a hard life! ;)

17. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Sure it may sound great, but using up all of your vacation within two months gets a bit hectic. Especially dealing with all the issues coming back from a three-week vacation, and making sure it's all sorted out before you leave on the next one. ;)

Of course, the "next one" is WWDC... :D

18. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

I wish I could go, mainly because of good old College University

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I had not heard of that until coming to CC. It was funny as hell and well worth the trek thru DC and Hasbro to get to them!

20. Tanglewood thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Okay I got the majority of it online save the few people that added on Sunday. Feel free to take a look.

Here is a sample of one of the pages:
    [​IMG]

Though one note I let the artist have a lot of freedom to draw what they wanted, so just be wary of Page Ten.