Comical Relief?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jonharris200, Mar 15, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

jonharris200

I saw this on the new iTunes Store (UK) page for Comic Relief:

The last part makes me smile - it sounds as if all people in the UK and Africa are 'poor and disadvantaged'.

I think this would make more sense without the definite article in front of it, ie 'make a big difference to poor and disadvantaged people across the U.K. and Africa'.

However, part of it depends of course on your definition of poverty. :)

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

jonharris200

Bump 9 hours later.

I still think this is funny, if not patronising.

To be perfectly honest, it doesn't sound like this text was written by a Brit. The e.x.t.r.a. dots after U. and K. are a bit odd too.

Of course, I may be entirely wrong. But I still would hope Apple finds a better way of phrasing this ahead of tomorrow night's Comic Relief evening on TV*.

What do others think?

* Comic Relief a fund-raising evening on BBC - annual event with lots of celebs taking part and doing weird and wonderful things, especially comedy of course; people across the UK join in with community, business, church events too.

3. macrumors 6502a

The dots in U.K. are superfluous as UK is a popular abbreviation.

You're right, we're not all poor and disadvantaged, but if they want to give me money they are more than welcome to.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

jonharris200

They've reworked the text quite a bit today. And yes, the 'the' is gone. :)

5. macrumors regular

Poseidon

I think you looked for and saw something that wasn't there. All I see is something word a bit badly - I think you should concentrate on the main message which seems to be that this is a charity event which could help folks that are in the UK and Africa.

[By the way, putting dots between "U" and "K" strikes me as the correct way to list the country. I was taught that when you abbreviate full "name" words - such as United States of America or United Kingdom - you're supposed to put the dots in.]