Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
I admit, when we first started tossing around the idea of an app store for the AppleTV, I was very agnostic on the idea. No firm objection, but I didn't really see the appeal. I use the app store for my iPhone, but I'm hardly an app-aholic. I tended to side with the people who wanted an integrated BluRay player (of significant interest to me personally) or a DVR (of moderate interest to me personally).

But I've had a total change in perspective on this. I now think that, aside from native 1080p support, an app store is the single biggest improvement that could be made to the AppleTV.

Here's why: it's been speculated that Apple won't add certain features because they don't want to be in the BluRay business, they don't want to be in the DVR business, etc. Apple wants to be in the App-and-content business. Fine. Adding an app store to the ATV would let them defer all the "business" aspects of these other functions (ie, hardware production, R&D) to other companies, and leave Apple to just collect royalties on Apps sold.

Want a DVR? Just download the DVR app, add a supported tuner card and external hard drive, and you've got one! And you just know some company will make a tuner and hard drive that fits the AppleTV's profile...

Want a BluRay player? Just download the BluRay app, add a supported drive, and you've got one! Again, some company is bound to make a drive that fit's the AppleTV's profile.

Now me, I've said that the AppleTV would be a good portal for a location-free viewer... so you could have a SlingBox app, and not even need any new hardware.

The more I think about it, the more I really, really think this is what Apple should do with the platform. If AppleTV really is an extension of the iPod line, there's NO reason to not extend the same business model. Granted, some of this would require Apple to refresh the hardware and open up formerly closed features to developers, but I think we're all in agreement that should happen soon anyway. I've seen this approach work with several iPhone apps, so it seems to benefit both Apple and whatever company releases the app.

What do you all think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.