Command & Conquer Generals

Discussion in 'Games' started by Shaun.P, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hello Guys,

I recently bought Command and Conquer Generals from Amazon and I find it really annoying that I have to insert the disk every time I play it. Is there anyway I can play the game without the disk?

Thanks for your help.

2. Stpauleboy macrumors newbie

Not that I am aware of, but the really annoying aspect to the game is that it has to play the intro before every on-line match start. Boy does that sux.
    :( The game itself is a really good build and fight , i just wish you didnt have to go through the intro every time.

3. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I also hate the fact that you can't skip introduction movies when you are doing the campaign. This is expecially annoying when you have to repeat a mission because you aren't very good at the game! :p

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

That's funny, I was going to pick that game up. I guess they changed it because everybody was constantly skipping the movies... :D
    How is it balanced, multiplayer wise? Is it all right?

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Your two options are No-CD cracks (which have a certain amount of legal questions behind them) or make a disc image of your game (instructions are somewhere in this forum).

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i did this for starcraft and broodwar so i dont have to switch cd's or whatever. just go to disk utility with the cd in and select the one that says something like session 1, not like c&c generals or whatever. then click new image and pick where you want to save it. really speeds up load times.

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Once the movie finishes, just save the game. Then you don't have to deal with that movie again. Also save multiple times in the game when you reach a milestone or another movie.

Once you learn that saving feature, you will eventually master the game because you can experiment with different approaches. I play it all the time even after beating it at the most advanced level.

8. Stpauleboy macrumors newbie

All three forces, USA, China, and GLA, have their own stengths and weaknesses. I usually played as USA, and the couple times I've played online, most others did as well. Having played offline against the computer as opponent, I would say all three could win based on superior fighting tactics and build strategies. I have liked the C&C games since the first one came out for the mac, and this one is as good as any of them if not better IMHO.

9. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Ok, I tried making a disk image. Please remember the disk is a DVD, not a CD.

I went into Disk Utlity but it didn't say session 1 or anything, just 'Command and Conquer Generals'. I then mounted it and tried to load again - but it say 'Please Insert the Disk' .

Any further help would be very appreciated. Such as no CD info.

10. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will have to pick that game up.

11. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Try to mount it with Toast. Unless this works, you can PM me with your email address and I send you a disk image (384KB) that you can mount (with Toast) instead of the whole DVD.

12. Trout74 macrumors 6502

for those of you that have this game what are you palying it on?
    does it play well?

Has anyone played it with a new G5 iMac, does the iMac play it well?

thanks
    Trout

13. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

I run it on 1.33GHz pb at 1024*768 resolution, it runs very well.

cheers

14. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I'm running it on an eMac 1.25Ghz, 512 MB of RAM. Could run better.

15. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Veldek, can you elaborate on your post?

Thanks. I'm installed toast now.

16. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hey, Toast Titanium worked! However I'm not too happy with wasting space on my computer as:

a. I have the unmounted image. (1.5gb)
    b. I have to mount the image to play the game,(1.5gb)
    c. I have the game installed (1.5gb)

Is there something I can do so the game doesn't check for the disk when it starts up?

17. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I'd try to make a disk image with the same name as the CD but without files and then mount it using Toast. This might actually work.

18. berns19 macrumors newbie

I don't know if this will help, but I managed to make a disk image just by selecting the DVD in Disk Utility and going to Images>New...>Image from Command & Conquer Generals. It should end up with the same name, and occupies about 1.2 GB. I also used the trick of saving missions immediately after the intro movies play through. The only thing I don't like about the game is the fact that each of the three strings has only seven missions, so you end up with 21 missions total, only one more than the 1995 version that I used to play that had only GDI and NOD. Oh well. It's a good game, even if it isn't a great port. :)

19. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I play Generals on a Dual 2Ghz G5 with that fancy GeForce 6800 GT card and maxed out all the settings and can't see any slow down even with a ton of action on the screen. Originally I had the Radeon 9600 card with 64 MB and the game was slower with the max settings on. I swapped it out mainly because I saw value with a more powerful card when Tiger (Core Video/Image) comes out. The main reason was that the ATI Radeon would require multiple reboots because I would get a black screen if I ever turned my G5 off or had it go to sleep. I think I got a defective card or something. I tried resetting the card with no results. It took an average of about 15 to 20 minutes of cursing before I would get video working again.

I can hardly wait for the Zero Hour expansion pack to come out. And Doom III should run smooth with my video card / G5 combo. My only complaint is that the 6800 is more noiser than the entire Powermac itself.

On a side note, I wish all games would let you just play the game without the CD. It is a huge pain even having to come up with workarounds.

20. Stpauleboy macrumors newbie

I play the game on both my 20" imac G5 and my pm G5 2.5 30". The only difference I've seen is that it takes an extra second or two to load the maps on the imac G5 when playing head to head.

21. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

I play C&C:Generals Zero Hour on my PC. It’s a great game. I like playing the GLA. The rocket buggies (with a couple of Scorpion tanks and quad-cannons) are almost unbeatable. Plus in Zero hour every GLA unit can get a junk upgrade.

The teams are more even in Zero hour. I would play USA and get rocked every time. In my opinion they were the weakest. Now the USA has more powerful/versatile equipment.

I've completed every mission on Medium. Now I am going back to finish them oh Hard.

22. Trout74 macrumors 6502

nice to know! thanks :) I am happy to hear the iMac can play this game well.

so with say 150++ units on the field and an air srike comming in and a battalion of tanks heading out to fight there are no long pauses?

My current system will pause for say 2-5 seconds when the screen gets full of units and im way into the game.

trout

23. Stpauleboy macrumors newbie

Well I never seem to have that many units alive at one time, but I've never noticed any lag time on the imac g5, even with tons of enemy troops whacking my base. ;)

24. Trout74 macrumors 6502

that is great, Thanks!

Trout

25. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Same here with a dual 2.5GHz G5 and X800 card. Though at first I was getting really bad frame rates if I had 3D shadows on and there were a lot of buildings on-screen. Eventually I figured out that was because I was using ATI's 3D overrides to enable anti-aliasing. When I turned that off, it seems to run as fast with 3D shadows as without them.

So this is the second game that AA sort of kills...not as bad as Homeworld 2 though, where I get maybe 2 fps with AA on. Oh well, at least I can crank the resolution really high in both cases.

--Eric