Command & Conquer: Generals

Discussion in 'Games' started by F50Ferrari, Jan 19, 2004.

1. F50Ferrari macrumors newbie

I am very very excited for this game... I reserved it around Thanksgiving and I'm getting very impatient.. haha. I've been watching the trailers on apple.com for the game and another is supposed to be released on the 23rd. The game is supposed to ship in February!!

Is anyone else as excited as me!??

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I dont have a Mac fast enough to get it, otherwise I would get it for the Mac. I have played it on the PC and it is a very good game, but I dont quite think it is as great the original C&C.

3. vrapan macrumors regular

i played the game on the PC as well and it is a very good game. However as said none of the consequent C&Cs were as good as the first one. Furthermore the stand alone campaigns are quite easy and you will finish it quickly. So after that online multiplayer is the only option to fully enjoy the game however just as Halo you won't be able to play with the majority (see PC) of the players because the expansion is not available for Mac and it might not be for quite a long time. I hope you enjoy it though nevertheless.

4. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Waiting with baited breath. Never played Generals on the PC, but the C&C series was my favorite before I jumped to Mac's a couple years back.

Trailers look good. I'm sure it will be fab.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The only games I missed when I switched were the original and Red Alert, it'd be nice to see it on the Mac when it does come.

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Same.

But too bad when it finally comes back to the mac my Machine can't run it!

Arg... stupid iMac 800!

:(

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Red Alert runs fine in VPC, the sys requirements are so low for it. I bought it and played it in VPC for about 2 years with no problems.

Does C&C Generals have a skirmish mode? Comp vs Human?

8. F50Ferrari thread starter macrumors newbie

command and conquer generals has a skirmish mode.. man vs. computer, there are plenty of possibilities .. you'll be satisfied

9. thegeek187 macrumors member

10. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

If I'm remembering correctly, I had the Mac C&C and my brother had the PC RedAlert. There was some hack that took the PC RedAlert game data and allowed it to be used on the Mac C&C so you could play RedAlert on the Mac.

I'll check and see because I did that and I still have his game CD.

11. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I think I remember that as well, Red Alert used the same engine as C&C, but I dont think you could play multiplayer with Mac Red Alert. Although, I always played Red Alert in VPC on my PowerBook.

12. F50Ferrari thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I decided to e-mail Aspyr about the release date and they said it is 'near beta-form' and should be expected late January/early February. Well, it's January 30th so I expect it soon!

13. Engagebot macrumors regular

dont get me wrong, i'm a mac fanboy, but i'm a PC gamer. I dont even keep up with games released for mac. case in point, i got generals over a year and a half ago...

C&C generals is still awesome though.

as long as the mac has no Generals and no Call of Duty, it doesnt matter to me that apple put a crappy video card in my powerbook.

14. F50Ferrari thread starter macrumors newbie

haha i got news for you buddy...

macintosh DOES have generals and call of duty... sorry pc dude

www.aspyr.com

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I wouldn't consider a Radeon 9600 a crappy video chip, personally. :)

16. AkiraK macrumors member

Apparently you don't keep up with PC games releases either....C&C Generals wasn't released until Feb 10th, 2003.

...unless of course you got a hold of an extremely early alpha build...

Exaggerations like this one are one of the reasons Mac gamers take it on the chin so much. The delay isn't always as bad as people make it out to be (though to somebody really anticipating a game, even 2 months can feel like a year and a half).

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Indeed,
    But was was an unexpected port.

I never saw C&C coming back to the mac... really.

http://www.apple.com/games/trailers/generals/

Did anyone see the last trailer?

'All your base are belong to us! '

haha.

I playied this game on a PC... nice game... but Obviously U.S biased.

It made china and (middle east) Terrorist group look like baffoons.

Chinese with 'mind control' and Terrorist... arg.

Whatever awaiting the game, even if I can't run it.

18. Engagebot macrumors regular

so a year ago then. whatever. the point is its not out, and call of duty wont be out for mac until mid april. even if they were, you wouldnt be able to run them *well* on anything but the dual G5's. My PC ran them superbly a while ago. you just have to admit that apple is behind the times as far as gaming goes.

the video card in my >$2000 powerbook ought to be able to keep up with things, and the fact is, it doesnt really.

Even 'older' games like castle wolfenstein just barely cut it even on macs that supposedly have the goods.

why not just stick in some good stuff? an imac with a beautiful 20" screen still runs sub-par graphics chips.

i've got regular piece-built athlon box with a $150 radeon 9500 pro that runs circles around this thing. news for you: that 9600 in your mac is going to eat it when you load up generals. trust me, that game is a beast. even the 9800's turn to slide shows during the heat of the battle.

dont start talking to me about video cards until you go get yourself at least an undergrad degree in computer science. you're preaching to the wrong choir.

19. nspeds macrumors member

if someone could post how to get Red Alert running on OSX without VPC (using the C&C hack) i'd be really grateful, i love the game.

20. AkiraK macrumors member

True enough, but there's a significant difference between "over a year and a half" and just under/over a year.

...which shows that things are improving, at least with some titles. A four month turnaround isn't bad for a complete port, especially given that most PC developers won't let Mac developers see even portions of the code until well after a game's PC release.

And how does your PC run Halo? or Splinter Cell? How will it run Half-Life 2 (assuming it actually sees the light of day) or Doom 3? The Mac has a ways to go before it matures as a gaming machine, granted...I doubt anyone here would argue that. But the notion that PC's magically play everything perfectly out of the box is just silly. Halo all but demands a top of the line PC, and even then, runs like crap on most machines, even some high-end rigs.

That depends on what you mean by "things." The PowerBook isn't designed to be a game machine, though it would still hold court on all but the highest end PC laptops (in fact, only AlienWare makes a really serviceable gaming laptop).

As for the iMac, no one expects an eMachine to run Halo, yet you seem to expect Apple to drop top of the line components into every machine. Why did you build your own PC? Again, you shoot down claims that no one has ever made (including Apple). It's not really fair to hold a machine up to a higher standard than the one it sets for itself or that of the competition. If you want a solid consumer level Mac, the iMac is priced accordingly, and includes a host of features not even included on similarly priced PC models. If you want a dedicated game machine, buy a console.

Few people buy a Mac purely to game--people buy Macs for the overall computing experience, which is hands down far better out of the box than any PC at the same price point. Playing games is secondary. I buy Mac games whenever possible, but have a custom-built PC that I do most gaming on (though even that has begun to take a back seat to my consoles).

First you argue that your 9500 pro runs everything superbly, then argue that even 9800's can't cut it. Which is it?

I'd be careful about making assumptions about the people you're talking to...you might be surprised to find out what undergrad (and grad, for that matter) degrees they hold, what fields they work in, etc.

21. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

OK, I've found that PC C&C game I was talking about a few messages above and what I have is C&C The Covert Operations. So, it wasn't Red Alert after all. The CD clearly states "PC CD-ROM" and on the paper insert in says "Coming Soon... C&C Red Alert". Sorry for the confusion.

22. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I am also confused as to how a 9500 is supposed to run games better than a 9800.

And as far as I know, it takes a lot of praying to get games like Halo to run well on a regular AMD box like yours.

23. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

24. nspeds macrumors member

PC Laptop gaming isn't really that good at all. BTW, on my PowerBook, I can run Halo on all the full settings... I don't see the big deal.

The 550 or the 667 PB's are pretty old anyways, so how can we expect brand new games to work on them?

I remember purchasing a really good PC last year, but now it has trouble playing some of the best games, it's just technology. The thing about macs is that I could probably be using a ClamShell iBook right now and not have any problems for my daily work, for Macs, it believe that our hardware takes longer to get "obsolete".

I think its possible to convert Red Alert Windows to Mac, maybe if we can use the regular C&C Mac port and rename the RA .MIX files to match the C&C mac one's then replace them, we can fool the game into playing Red Alert, I dunno... just an idea.

25. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Indeed.

I didn't even know it could run natively on Mac Os X.

:eek:

any news? Screen Shots... this game iisss coming.