Command&Conquer-Red Alert

Discussion in 'Games' started by chopsuey158, Nov 17, 2005.

1. chopsuey158 macrumors member

So, I used to play these games all the time, the original versions from the 90's. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to get the mac versions (I know there was one for Red Alert, not sure if there was one for Command & Conquer). I've been thinking about setting up an old pc (which I would have to buy) just for these games but that would be sacreligious. So...anyone know where I can download these games or buy them?

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

There is a mac version of Red Alert!?! That game was awesome. Natalia would go into town and totally rout the enemy.

3. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It's the other way around. The original C&C had a Mac version (I have it), but nothing after that was ported, including Red Alert, until C&C:Generals recently. You can buy Generals pretty much anywhere, and as for C&C, try eBay or put a request in on a Mac gaming forum. (Like the buy&sell category on insidemacgames.com for example.)

As for the rest, you could try VirtualPC if your Mac is fast enough. I don't think any of them required 3D acceleration until Generals, so they ought to at least run, and might even be playable, but I don't really know.

--Eric

4. chopsuey158 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, I will try ebay and that other site mentioned above. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy :D ; although i do somewhat dread having to boot into classic to run it (assuming I will have to...).

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I don't think Virtual PC will be able to handle Red alert.

6. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I used to play Red Alert on my old PowerBook G3 233, so almost any Mac should be able to play it just fine.

Although if you want to play Red Alert 2 or Tiberian Sun, you will probably need at least a 800Mhz G4.

7. Moop macrumors newbie

Incase anyone is wondering, i have successfully ran Red alert 1 on windows 98 in virtual pc 7 on my powermac G4. It runs absolutely fine, except you may experience problems with the videos between levels. I find hammering the escape button when you accomplish a mission seems to stop it from crashing (at least for me anyway)

Red alert 2 is a bit too slow for me on VPC. Since westwood was taken over by EA, im hoping the red alert sequel (if there is one) will also be released on the mac.