Command-Control-D Dictionary Functionality Gone!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by scem0, Dec 29, 2006.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

If you hold your cursor over a word and press Command-Control-D it will look up that word for you. I used this feature of OS X a lot, but now it's not working for me. If I hold my cursor over a word and press that key combination the computer makes my default error noise. No error message displays though, it just makes the noise. It makes the same noise if I press any other weird key combination which isn't bound to an action, so I that that somehow that key combination was unregistered somehow.

I think it might have something to do with the game 'World of Warcraft'. Sometimes that game will unbind your expose and dashboard key selections. You have to manually set them again (or use an applescript like I do). I thing World of Warcraft has unbound that key combination, but I can't find where to reset that. it's not in the preferences for the dictionary application that I can tell, nor is it in the OS X preferences. I don't see anything from googling, so far.

Thanks for the help,

e

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Try repairing permissions...
    Restart the PRAM
    Restart the PMU
    (The usual)

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

it's in the keyboard preference menu, under keyboard shortcut, dictionary

4. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

ah, that was it, thank you very much. Did just the trick :).

e

5. j37V macrumors member

j37V

hey sorry for bringing up a 2 year old post but i cant seem to get it working anyway. the option in System pref.>Keyboard and mouse>Keyboard shortcuts is selected... i dont know what's wrong...
    any other ideas?

6. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

You have to hold all three keys down while moving the curser over the words.
    Control command d.

7. j37V macrumors member

j37V

i do!
    i've tried everything... clicking with the 3 buttons pushed down.... ive tried in safari, pages, pdf docs and just random text.
    it does absolutely nothing

8. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

You're sure you didn't change the key assignments? On the other hand sometimes it takes forever for me to come up...

9. j37V macrumors member

j37V

the key commands are the same way they've allways been and they are checkmarked. and right now i just stayed with the keys pressed for 30 seconds and nothing
    not even the "growling" sound
    so i dont know. ima try the mac help to see if i find anything i could have done on some other app that disabled that feature.
    dont stop posting ideas though they help greatly still.

10. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Don't know, pretty weird. I wouldn't holding the key down though. Try hovering over a word press the keys and don't move the mouse.

11. pxforti macrumors newbie

Hi,

I got this to work using cmd + ctrl + d, but it doesn't work in Firefox.

12. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

yeah i dont think firefox is supported. i have just found out though that dictionary also does wikipedia search, thats soooo cool (yes i have just turned over to mac about 3 months ago, still find everything a lot better than windows)