Command Line problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dark Lain, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Dark Lain macrumors member

Dark Lain

I've been getting my toes wet in exploring the command line in terminal and I am have a problem getting into a directory named -+-Pictures

I type

cd -+-Pictures

and I get the following error message in Terminal

-bash: cd: -+: invalid option
    cd: usage: cd [-L|-P] [dir]

I know what some of you are going to say "Why not rename the folder?", well I happen to organize my folders by name and I want this particular folder at the top. Is there some sort of work around for this other than renaming the folder?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The explanation is simple. The solution is harder.

Shell commands usually (not always) consist of a command name, zero or more switches separated by spaces and each starting with a minus sign, and then zero or more non-switch arguments separated by spaces.

Example: command -a -b -c arg1 arg2

A problem occurs when arg1 happens to start with a minus sign, since commands almsot always confuse it with the switches.

Example: command -a -b -c -3.14159 +2.71828 (is -3.14159 a switch or an argument?)

Some commands allow you to use a double minus sign as a final switch, which indicates that anything following is an argument, not a switch.

Example: command -a -b -c -- arg1 arg2

So let's look at real examples:

I try to list a file named "-z" and it fails:
    $ ls -z
    ls: illegal option -- z
    usage: ls [-ABCFGHLPRSTWZabcdefghiklmnopqrstuwx1] [file ...]

I use the "--" workaround for ls and it works:
    $ ls -- -z
    -z

I try to change to a directory named "-z" and it fails:
    $ cd -z
    -bash: cd: -z: invalid option
    cd: usage: cd [-L|-P] [dir]

I use the "--" workaround for cd and it works:
    $ cd -- -z

Note: I didn't actually test this.

For commands that don't recognize "--", there are often other tricks you can use such as using wildcards, or rearranging arguments, or adding dummy arguments, so that the first argument doesn't start with a minus sign.

In your example, you could try this command:
    cd *+-Pictures
    because the wildcard * hides the leading minus sign. This will fail if you have another folder that matches that pattern, e.g., ++-Pictures, but I'll bet that's unlikely.

Bottom line: It's best not to have files or folders with names that start with a minus sign because that makes it hard to use them in a shell. The same is true for files with spaces in their names, although the workarounds for those are simpler.

3. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Alternatively you could try:
    cd ./-+-Pictures​

This works for me.

4. Dark Lain thread starter macrumors member

Dark Lain

Both cd -- -z and cd ./-+-Pictures work!

Thanks for your help:)

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I think under Unix you can mask special characters, so the command line interprets them the correct way. IIRC, you can use a \ for this, but it's been so long ago that I used it, so I forgot about it. :eek:

6. Dark Lain thread starter macrumors member

Dark Lain

Yes before I tride this board I Googled around and found similar advice but it did not work.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That won't work in this case. The \ can be used to prevent the shell from "processing" a character that means something to the shell (spaces, wildcards, quote marks), but in this case (a file whose name starts with a minus sign) the shell isn't the problem, because - isn't a character with special meaning to the shell.

The problem in this case is that the minus sign means something special to the cd command. So no \ is needed in front of the \ and it won't help either.