Command-Up, Command-Down in Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stridey, Jun 26, 2005.

1. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Apparently this has existed since the olden days (introduced in OS 8 maybe), but I only learned it last year. In the Finder, Command-Down can be used for "open" on either folders or apps/docs, and Command-Up can be used for "open parent." Obviously this method of Finder navigation doesn't make much sense in Column view, but I use it exclusively with Icon view now. I'd be lost without it. Does anybody else actually use these keyboard commands, or am I the only one?

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I never knew that. Command+Down is useless to me because you have to use the mouse to click the folder anyway but Command+Up is something I will probably use quite often now. Thanks :)

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You use Command-Down in conjunction with typing the first few letters of the folder name to quickly navigate to them. I see power users use this feature, which simply doesn't work well on Windows.

4. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

Well, you can use the arrows to navigate which folder is selected, and then use command-down. :D

5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Yeah I do. Took me a while to figure it out tho, was trying to open things by hitting return (from my windows days!).

Like Lacero says, used in conjuction with typing letters its incredibly powerful.

6. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

So Command-Up will open a parent, which is the same thing as the "Up" button in Windows Explorer? Thank God. I don't understand why Apple neglected to put a "Parent Folder" or "Up" button in the Finder toolbar.

7. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

Well, you can also Command-click on the small thumbnail in the title bar of a finder window, or add the "path" button to the toolbar. And of course, if you navigated to the folder, using the back button will bring you back up.

But yes, Command-Up will open a parent. :D

8. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

It should be noted that you can also include the option key as well, this will close the previous window, this keeps your desktop nicely uncluttered :cool:

9. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

Or use the brushed metal Finder windows, in which case it's not a problem. :cool:

10. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

Huh? I can't quite follow you there. Do you mean the window mode without the side and top bar?

11. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

No, I mean the window mode *with* the side and top bar. Using command-down and command-up opens the child and parent (respectively) in the same Finder window you've been using. So there's no need for option to keep the desktop uncluttered. I assumed since you suggested using the option key, you were using the aqua finder windows (without the side and top bar).

12. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

Alright. No I meant that when you use command-option-up/down you only have one window open at the same time. I prefer it that way, but I guess thats a matter of taste ;)

13. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

What I'm saying though, is just using comman-up/down should have only one window open, the way you like. That's the way it's always behaved for me.

14. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

Hmmm, maybe my finder is set in a different way then. Because if I only use the command-up/down without the addition of the option key it opens a new window. I've been using those key combo's for ages (I think I already did that in the OS-7.5x days although I can't remember that to clearly :p) It still works the same. I do have to note that I'm using Panther (if that as anything to do with it, although I think its some setting somewhere that changes this behavior)

15. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

Hmm. Go figure. *shrug* :p :D

16. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

Depends on finder setting!

I've found it! In the finder prefs you can check or uncheck if it opens a folder in a new window. I have this box checked, so I can both open multiple windows with only the command or close the previous one with command-option. This is the way it always worked on the classic OS's as well, so it feels the most natural to me this way.

Although I can see ex-windows users might like it the other way. :)

17. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i've used the commands since the system 7 days

now i use it mainly as a quick way to go up to /Volumes by hitting up repeatedly (useful when people minimize the sidebar with all the Volumes)

command-option-(up|down) will remove the previous window