Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Earlier today I went to the library to work, to get a change of scenery. Shortly after I sat down, I glanced at the SystemPal icon on the menu bar: it showed an operating temp of about 180 F. Then I glanced at the Activity Monitor icon on the Dock: it showed high CPU and Energy usage. Both apps said CommCenter was the culprit. Restarting the computer did not stop CommCenter from draining my battery.

After searching here and on the internet in general, all I could find were references to iPhones and iPod Touches. There is almost nothing about CommCenter on OS X. Thinking it might have something to do with WiFi Calling, here's what I did to stop CommCenter:
  1. I opened FaceTime and unchecked "Calls from iPhone."
  2. I rechecked the box but didn't click on Upgrade to Wi-Fi Calling.
I like taking or making calls on my computer but since I always have my phone nearby, I don't really need to make Wi-Fi calls on my computer.

Battery drain fixed. Hope this helps someone else who runs into the same problem.

Our cell carrier, or Un-Carrier, is T-Mobile.

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
Earlier today I went to the library to work, to get a change of scenery. Shortly after I sat down, I glanced at the SystemPal icon on the menu bar: it showed an operating temp of about 180 F. Then I glanced at the Activity Monitor icon on the Dock: it showed high CPU and Energy usage. Both apps said CommCenter was the culprit. Restarting the computer did not stop CommCenter from draining my battery.

After searching here and on the internet in general, all I could find were references to iPhones and iPod Touches. There is almost nothing about CommCenter on OS X. Thinking it might have something to do with WiFi Calling, here's what I did to stop CommCenter:
I like taking or making calls on my computer but since I always have my phone nearby, I don't really need to make Wi-Fi calls on my computer.

Battery drain fixed. Hope this helps someone else who runs into the same problem.

Perhaps you should read this:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18756?locale=en_US

stainless

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Colorado

Thanks! We also have T-Mobile so not sure if it's specific to the carrier (un) or not. It's kind of nice to be able to answer from the computer but unless Apple get CommCenter CPU usage under control WiFi calling is not option.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Thanks! We also have T-Mobile so not sure if it's specific to the carrier (un) or not. It's kind of nice to be able to answer from the computer but unless Apple get CommCenter CPU usage under control WiFi calling is not option.
I'm on the MacOS beta and this issue is no longer a problem.

stainless

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Colorado
I'm on the MacOS beta and this issue is no longer a problem.
Curious, are you on Sierra? I'm on the latest El Captain and still getting ComCenter going crazy (120% CPU) with WiFi calling. We can't upgrade to Sierra due to software, maybe it's worth looking into moving up now...

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Curious, are you on Sierra? I'm on the latest El Captain and still getting ComCenter going crazy (120% CPU) with WiFi calling. We can't upgrade to Sierra due to software, maybe it's worth looking into moving up now...
Yes, I'm on Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.