Comment on Monoprice USB Gigabit Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JHUFrank, Mar 22, 2012.

1. macrumors demi-god

JHUFrank

I carry several of these for my IT work. The other day, during a torrential downpour here in Oklahoma, one of these dropped from my Waterfield Sleeve case and full into a puddle in my driveway. I didn't notice it til I got home that night. I shook the thing out, threw it in my oven on 165 degrees, and left it in there for about 5 hours. I was taking care of my 3 year old son and forgot all about it until I was locking up for bed. Took the darn thing out, smelled a little cooked, lol.
    Today, I brought the adapter into work with me, plugged it in, and it worked without a problem. I will keep an eye on it over several weeks, but I am pretty darn impressed for a 15 buck ethernet adapter.

2. macrumors 68000

oneMadRssn

Off-topic slightly:

Since USB 2.0 is limited to 480mbps, and that theoretical maximum speed is rarely if ever achievable, what's the point of getting a gigabit ethernet adapter?

Otherwise, monoprice is awesome. Love it.

3. macrumors 68030

Would think that the point would be pretty obvious. USB2 > 802.11n>100/10, if we are talking about theoretical sustained maximum throughput speeds and there are of course situations where no wireless solution is available.

4. thread starter macrumors demi-god

JHUFrank

Apple's USB adapter is only 10/100

5. macrumors member

Tangentially, have any of you used Monoprice's Thunderbolt to DVI adapter?

6. macrumors newbie

Yep, I have both the dongle (item 5106) and cable (item 5999) versions, and they work great to drive a 1920x1200 external monitor (HP ZR24W).

7. macrumors regular

Using two of the cables and they work great.

8. macrumors 6502