Commercial attacks Kerry's military service.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stelliform, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

A commercial (here) put out by an organization calling itself "Swift Boat Veterans for the truth" severely bash's Kerry's war record. The Democrats are threatening TV stations to try and keep the add off of he air. (Story Here)

I don't think it is fair to just blame Kerry for the horrific treatment that veterans received when returning from Vietnam.

2. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Love your source.

If you actually read the letter, you would see that they are warning networks that several of the claims are libelous and that they would potentially be sued for damages.

Considering that the Boston Globe reported that George Elliot (one of the men responsible for the ad) stated "It was a terrible mistake probably for me to sign the affidavit with those words. I'm the one in trouble here," they may be right.

Warning a network of airing potentially libelous claims is a far cry from trying to stop the ad.

3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

You blame war protestors for the psychological damage done to Vietnam veterns??? ROFLMAO.... *brushes self off* That is funny, seriuosly. You don't think it could be that the damage was done by what went on when they were in Vietnam do you? Wouldn't *that* make a little more sense?

4. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

He isn't? Bush lied to the American people about having proof of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, the reason why we are at war right now. People continue to die because he lied.

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Nope, he most definately is a liar. And not in the sense that all politicians lie...

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

7. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Why not blame the idiots who sent them there in the first place? Blaming the war protestors is the msot ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

he is.

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

it does

one of my grandfathers escaped to switzerland before ww2
    my other grandfather had the luck to meet my grandmother when coming back..that helped him ..a few years later he started his own business
    her brother came back 1955 after 10 years of sibira as a person with neither enough will to live nor to die ... aka. completly broken..he died a few years later
    even now my grand father doesn't talk much about the war ...too many friends lost for a bad thing

my parents were a generation who grew up without a war but with tales about a bad war

and yeah huge veteran organizations don't exist here...

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Vets got a raw deal upon return.

The general populace did not welcome them back like they did troops after WWII, and some people did awful things to them.

My uncle had dog**** thrown at him at the airport.

10. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I'm sorry that your wife's uncle was effected so cruelly by the experience.

One question though: why do you assume that his trauma was caused by the protesters? SOME protesters of that era certainly said some harsh things, but the majority were protesting the war not the soldiers.

Further, EVERY Vietnam vet I know who has trauma from the war was effected by the war itself, not the protesters. My dad was prime age for drafting during the war (he didn't get drafted), so many of his friends were there. As an example, one of them was a medical helicopter pilot assigned to do emergency pickups during combat situations. He saw and experienced some very horrible things and has had certain eccenttricities and episodes ever since.

It seems to me that you are using the protesters as a scapegoat for the horrible experiences of war.

Taft

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Some opponents of the war did blame the men who served, but this was a small minority, a fringe element. Kerry certainly was not among them. The vast majority of war opponents just wanted our government to tell the truth about the war, to end the draft, and to get us out of Vietnam.

The returning vets were not treated as returning heros by in large, but this wasn't so much a function of the way people felt about them, but how the nation felt about our involvement in Vietnam, about being lied to by the government about the war, and sense of national disgrace over the way it was conducted. A feeling of betrayal was felt by many in the country, and not least of all, those who served.

I think those who supported the war, and volunteered to serve, felt the deepest sense disillusionment. Some turned their outrage towards the government (as Kerry did). Others blamed the opponents of the war. I believe it was the latter who had the most difficulty adjusting to the war's unsatisfying conclusion. They did, and probably will continue to, blame the American public -- which in the end, turned against the war, once the truth the government had tried so hard to hide became known.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

So it's the smaller percentage of Americans who protested who are responsible for the larger percentage who didn't not welcoming Vietnam vets home?

We "won" in Iraq.

Ever seen the home team lose?

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

No, Bush had bad intelligence from bad sources that he chose to believe because he wanted to in order to start a war. Bush *wanted* Iraq to be involved in 9/11 so he could get support so he ignored all the evidence to the contrary and deceived the American public as well as the entire world.

He wasn't misinformed. He did the misinforming, he is a liar.

14. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Well, blame away but protestors were the least of their problems. You don't get PTSD from people protesting a war. Why do you think vets started taking drugs while they were in Vietnam? To escape the horrors of what they were experiencing.

15. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

And you know this because????

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I've been paying attention ;)

17. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Quit a bit to pay attention to, now and then.
    http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/8/13/95839.shtml
    I hope this reaches a commercial soon.

Then we won the cold war.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow