Commercial Broadcasting System

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bousozoku, Mar 23, 2006.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I turned on Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) tonight to see how what commercials were playing but they kept interrupting it with some basketball from time-to-time.[/sarcasm]

I keep forgetting how much I dislike watching sports on CBS. They spend more time marketing than actually showing sports. :eek:
  2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    We peeked at a few of the NCAA basketball games today, and for a change I thought they did a good job of switching between simultaneous games. That's never easy.

Keep in mind that if you simply buy everything they advertise, the sponsors will then be satisfied and they won't have to run any more commercials. :rolleyes:
  3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
  4. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2005
    The poor section of Connecticut
    DVR is the best thing to happen to TV in my opinion. I hate that I have to do this but I can't waste my life watching advertisements. I record everything I watch and skip through the crap. As an avid Nascar fan I understand you completely, I don't know if you've ever watched a race on TV but the ratio falls somewhere around 75% commercials 25% racing. (I'm pulling that out of my hat...that isn't an actual statistic)
  5. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It's much worse on CBS than on any other network, though ESPN became much worse after Disney. Even the local CBS affiliate gives Survivor updates on the news.

The ratio is probably somewhat different but it certainly seems that way. I've noticed that hour long t.v. episodes on DVD only last about 43 minutes.

I think races need a break sometimes. I've been to the Indianapolis 500 a couple of times and the first 20 laps are exciting and the last 20 laps are exciting and the other laps aren't exciting usually. Of course, t.v. gets the breaks and the people in the stands get bored and/or drunk.

I suppose CBS has to sell a lot of stuff because they pay for the rights to broadcast the programme.
  6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I hated CBS during the San Marino GP last year. First, Ralph Shaheen doesn't hold a ****ing candle to Bob Varsha even, never mind David Hobbs and Steve Matchett. Then, with less than 15 laps left, and the reining 7-yime world champ all over the back of his supposed successor, they cut to a ****ing commercial. :mad:
    Could be worse, I heard ITV did it a few laps later.