Commiserate with me: Your car wreck stories

Discussion in 'Community' started by 18thTomorrow, Dec 29, 2004.

1. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Augh.

Yesterday was a bad day. I went to visit my elderly grandparents (who refuse to move into a condo or assisted living, but really should...). They have a very long, narrow driveway. And because we've had a bunch of snow here in MI, and they're old, the driveway wasn't in its best driving condition. And there was a large pickup parked pretty close to the edge of the driveway. So I kissed them goodbye, hopped into my beloved 98 VW Beetle that i bought less than 3 months ago, and backed down the driveway. At the end of the drive, there was a pretty thick snowplow pile. I had to hit the gas rather hard to get through it. As I arced out into the street, the front left corner of my car caught the ball hitch on the pickup just perfectly. The ball hitch grabbed and tore off my whole red plastic front bumper cover. :eek:

For a moment I just sat there in shock, then I got out of the car. The pickup was unharmed. My car, not so much. I was able to tie the bumper cover back on with some rope and make it driveable. So I went to the body shop to get estimates. THe grand total: $1576 including parts, paint, and labor. For a stupid freak driveway accident! Can you believe it? I need to replace the front bumper cover, front left headlamp, front left outer fender, and front left inner fender. On each piece, the plastic is just torn right up.

I don't have that kind of money. Being a young driver, I'm absolutely loathe to claim it on insurance, because if I do they *will* jack up my policy next month. (I've been counting the days until it goes *donw* on my 19th birthday...) Plus I have a pretty high deductible.

After calling every junkyard in the county and beyond, I've come up with $400 worth of aftermarket parts and a guy who will paint them red for $400 and my dad and my brother who can screw them on. But for a student, that's still over a month's pay. What a costly lesson to learn.

Oh well. Life goes on.

2. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    sorry to hear about the "ding"

just be glad you have a newish car though, and remember, that's the price you pay when things like this happen. i'm stuck with a 97 jetta that's falling apart...but at least i can get parts at a scrappie for a lot cheaper than vw.

3. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Yup. Mine is not a snow story, but I understand your ***aaargh***

Had a kangaroo jump out on me a few years ago. Destroyed the bumper, grille, two headlights, sidelights/indicators, bonnet, and one wing (fender).

$7,000 of which I paid $300

A year later another kangaroo. I stopped without hitting it; the kangaroo was on the left, near the front wheel. Then it decided to flee, so turned and kicked out - hit the car and caused another $1500 (new wing/fender, and paint to wing and bumper.) Another $300 from me, and a query note from the insurance co asking why so many kangaroo bingles.

My insurance went up after I hit a wombat on a blind corner.

Wombats are like this.

4. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

I'm sorry to hear that. One day I left work at lunch time to go over to the Apple store and look around. Returning to the office, in the process of parking my car this guy in front of me executes this boneheaded maneuver; he appears to nose into a space, then decides to back into another one. I'm behind him, but not too close. Then he pulls out again (I guess he found a space 10 feet closer) and goes to nose in to another space. At this point I'd had about enough of this moron, so I try to go around him. As I'm passing him he backs up (without looking) and plows right into my right rear door and quarter panel. Man, was I pissed! So we're both out of our cars, and I scream "Didn't you see me?" to which he replied "Not until I hit you" and then comes up with this gem "That's why they call them 'accidents'". Anyway, long story short, the main thing to keep in mind (this is what everyone told me) is that no one got hurt. It might not seem like solace to you, (it didn't to me, either, at the time) but it could have been much worse. Cars and possessions can be replaced, but people can't. I'm sure that your grandparents are relieved that you're not hurt. Again, it really sucks that it happened; that guy probably had no business parking his truck so close to your grandparent's driveway, but don't beat yourself up too much about it. That's probably the best advise I can give you. Take good care.

Marc

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I've had commercial trucks park right in front of my driveway with the engine running with the driver filling out paperwork.

I sat behind the truck waiting for him to move on, of course he throws it in reverse and I feel and hear a crunch.

The guy jumps out and yells at me for not honking, running into him, and parking behind him.

Until I pointed out, that I live in the house that belongs to the driveway he blocked and why he felt the need to back up the hill instead of using the round-a-bout he was parked in.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well this one isn't exactly my own story, but here's one that just happened to my brother-in-law (who might as well be my own brother).

The story starts on a Friday evening about 4 weeks ago, on his way home from work. In the Bay Area many on-ramps are metered during rush hour, one car per green light. The guy in front of him went, and when his turn came my brother-in-law hit the gas on his 2001 Accord V6 that he had bought used only 3 months previously. He looked back to find an opening in traffic, but when he looked forward again he saw that the guy in front of him had stopped on the on ramp. He then rear-ended the guy at something like 15-20 mph. Hard enough to move his bumper back a little but not hard enough to deploy the airbag or anything. So after sorting that mess out he went to a friends house nearby and spent the night as it was dark already and he didn't want to drive his damaged car without being able to look at it carefully.

So the next morning he checks things out, pushes on the bumper, pulls on it, etc. Car seems driveable, so he gets in and heads to a body shop to get an estimate. He was doing about 60 on the freeway when he hit a bump, which managed to move the already damaged bumber and wedge it between the car and the front passenger tire which stops spinning suddenly. As a result his rear end breaks loose and he starts to do 360's down the freeway. After about 3 of those he looks out and sees a highway sign coming right at him, one of those ones with the two 4x4s supporting them. He takes that sign on the drivers side door which causes him to start flipping. He rolls the car 4 times. Total destruction. All the windows and the moonroof blow out. The side airbags deploy. The car comes to a rest on the two remaining tires. He reaches out and pulls the door latch. The door opens flawlessly and he walks away with nothing worse than a wrenched back and some bruising on his arms and sides.

Freakin' amazing. What with all the insurance issues and not being able to take the time to find another car like the one he trashed, we went out the next weekend and bought him a brand new '05 Civic EX SE. Looks enough like the old car that he's thinkin about calling this one 'Mini Me'.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, 18thTomorrow. That is quite fortunate that you were able to find the parts for $400 and get it painted for $400. Quit nice to have a family talented enough to put the parts onto the car. Good luck with your situation.

Your story about your brother-in-law is quite amazing mactastic. I would say that he is very fortunate to be alive and only end up with minor injuries. It scared me to read the story.

I've had a couple of accidents, but they don't even close. One time I was driving and the next thing I knew I was under a large delivery truck. It only damaged the hood.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I was the front-seat passenger in a car that skidded on ice and slid into a road sign while traveling at highway speed. The sign made a triangle-shaped indentation, embedding itself in the front of the car. Luckily, the car was big, so a road sign pushed 2 feet into the front of the car didn't reach the passenger compartment. Major damage to the car; none to us.

Anybody curious what the road sign said? Answer: "Icy" :eek:

9. 18thTomorrow thread starter macrumors 6502

Freakin' hilarious...and scary.

Mactastic: Your story is freakin' amazing...and scary. I was planning to drive the Bug...bumper tied-on and all...to work on Monday. Now I'm seriously considering the bus. Or at the very least, the back roads.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I haven't driven since 1998. I leave all the driving to the MBTA. No worries about starting up a cold car, traffic, or parking. I wish that my wife didn't have a job that she needed to drive.

11. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

kid i know was joy riding (thankfully he's my enemy) without a license (doesn't even have a permit) and crashed into a parked car in the driveway! Futhermore the kid didnt stop! He speed off.

I was a witness and went to see if everyone was alright. (The car belonged to elders and had the handicap sign and everything). Thankfully everyone was inside and no-one was hurt.

Well while we were inspecting the car the idiot comes back down the street. My friend whips out a pen and jots own the Plate. The police get called and we all get interigated. They hunted the kid down and now he's in alot of trouble

good thing no one was hurt cause that truck ripped the back off the little ford.

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Sorry to hear of your misfortune 18th,

I have only had two accidents in my life, and they were both over 10 years ago. They are pretty amusing.

The first one happened the first day I had my license (!!). I had been given my mother's Izuzu Trooper to drive to school and to Tennis practice afterwards.

Now, the tennis courts we practiced on were down a long, windy, dirt road in a city park and for the weeks prior to this day, those driving me had had a blast zooming through large puddles in the road that had formed from heavy rains. It is amusing at sixteen, I guess.

So after tennis practice, I get into the Izuzu and go cruising down the windy road to hit some puddle action. Going around a corner, I take it a little wide and my back tires hit some mud on the side of the road. Troopers are very top-heavy, and I found myself losing control. It was later theorized that in my panic, I mistakenly hit the gas instead of the brake.

In any case, you do get a commanding view of the road from the Trooper, being so high up, so I remember careening down this road where I would see an obstacle like a boulder, and crank the wheel the other way to miss it, only to crank the wheel back the other way to miss a tree. A friend behind me says I was zig-zagging down the road on two wheels.

Eventually, I see myself headed towards a gate, which is open, so that it is resting parallel to the road. It is one of those simple gates shaped like an enlongated pennant, with a stop sign on it. I crank the wheel to miss it, and there is a loud crash, which brings my back end around and I skid to a stop in a ditch.

At this point, I am very pissed. I have been allowed to borrow a car, and on the first day I have it, I have put a huge dent in it. I get out to survey the damage and fall to the ground laughing my a** of at what I see. What I saw was a 10-foot gate (the same gate) shish-ka-bobbed through my trunk area. I had evidently hit it exactly perpendicular and it broke off when my back end came around from the collision. So There were 2.5-3 foot gashes in the back of the car that you could look through to the other side, and no other damage. The stop sign was spinning in the dirt...

Ahh, the folly of youth...I will relate the other story later.

13. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Rear ended a jeep on the freeway going 35MPH - $9000 total cost (damage + labor). Funny thing was, there was almost no damage to the Jeep. :confused:

14. Cybernanga macrumors regular

Scary but True

When I was living in Zimbabwe, one evening on my way home, I had a puncture, so I changed it and dropped the wheel off at a gararge that evening.

I passed by on my way to work in the morning, and collected the repaired wheel, which I had them fit back on the car.

I'm now on my way to work, and pull out really fast from the lights' on a long straight stretch, and I'm pretty far ahead of everyone else. The idiots at the gararge hadn't tightened the bolt's securely, and the d**n whell came off!! I was doing about 80kph, and suddenly I'm missing a front passenger side wheel, so no steering and not much braking power. Needless to say, I lost control, and was all over the place. I managed to stop without hitting anything, and it even looked like the car had been parked there intentionally.

Other drivers stopped and cheered, and a couple even complimented me on my superb handling skils, (It may have looked skillfull, but I was not in control, and praying like I never have before)

I sat there for a bit in shock, and then went looking for my missing wheel, which I eventually found. It had flown over a 6 foot fence into a golf course. I was told this by a guy who had been walking on the side of the road, and he said that the wheel flew about 2 foot over his head. (He was pretty shaken, but otherwise ok, thankfully).

I recovered the wheel and put it back on the car. All the wheel nut's on that wheel were missing, but everything else was ok. What I did was take 1 nut off each of the other wheel, so that I ended up with three on each wheel. I made sure that they were ALL very very tight, and went back to scream at the gararge owner. I didn't sue cause there was no damage except fright, and I really don't have the time to sue people. However, I made sure they knew what happened, and I don't think those guy's will make that mistake again.

It all ended well, but was scary while it was happening.

Oh yeah, the car was my favorite '90 Toyota Corolla Sedan, man I loved that car. I'll post some other stories about it if I ever get round to it ;)

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

16. mpw Guest

Like blakfox I too had my first accident the day I passed my driving test, before I'd even been issued with a license!

I was driving down a hill and came round a blind bend in the pouring rain to find that there was a delay at the junction further on and traffic was backing up to the bend. To avoid rear ending the que I slammed on the brakes (in hindsight I could switched to the other side of the road without a problem as there was no oncoming traffic) and lost control hitting a granite cliffface.

So I'm sitting there in my wreck with my friend and we're both unhurt, I was only doing maybe 20mph and the police arrive. I start to explain that I'm a new driver and that I don't know what happen etc. and while I'm telling the officer three more cars come round the bend and leave the road just like I did, turns out there was oil on the road or something so I didn't feel so stupid.

The best bit was I'd arranged my insurance over the 'phone and still had to go to the office to make the payment. I had the car towed and an estimate done by the bodyshop then a friend took me to the insurance office where I paid them £750 for the premium and then handed over a quote for the £2,950 repairs!

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i rear ended a garbage truck once. yes, a garbage truck. no, i dont know how i didnt see it. yes, i know garbage trucks are large and easy to see. yes, it looked stupid. :rolleyes:

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I've never hit anyone in all my years of driving.

The only time I did any damage to my car was when a car in front of me stopped short in a rainstorm in Delaware and I ran out of room to stop my Jetta with the brakes locked & car sliding. So I deliberately put the car into the left shoulder (four lane divided highway) and slid through some mud.

While manoeuvring out of the mud, the tires slipped loose and the bumpers gently smacked the guardrail, which caused minor paint damage on which I used a little touch-up and fixed myself.

I once did a 270 on an icy overpass at about 50mph and managed to hit absolutely nothing, which surprised me more that the spin itself. Going backwards at 50 is an odd feeling.

19. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

In '97 a friend and I were headed home from college (Bloomington to Columbus IN) to visit family for the weekend. It was October in Indiana (after all the leaves had changed colors and started falling) and we had our first rain in awhile. My friend was driving his Sable and we had to go through Brown County Indiana (lots of hills and curves on the state road). Down one of the major hills at a curve the car started sliding on the wet leaves and dirt and we slid off down into a huge ravine and were airborn for about 10 seconds. Luckily we tagged a tree straight on and it stopped us and the car dropped down to the ground. The airbag knocked my friend out and I smashed the windshield with my face (neither of us had seatbelts on). I got out immediately and had to wake my friend up. Just by chance their was an ambulance from Columbus 2 cars behind us. They started checking me out and my vision started tunneling and my hearing started fading. All I can remember is I thought I was dieing. I woke up 10 minutes later with them asking me if they could cut my sweater to put an IV in me. I was in an ambulance on a stretcher strapped down on the way to the ER. My friend ended up being perfectly fine. I had to have glass removed from underneath my chin and have stitches........I had a cracked kneecap which took almost a year to heal (I could put no pressure on it at all for a year)......and I still to this day have lower back problems.
    Needless to say his car was totalled. We were very lucky and now I never forget to put my seatbelt on and I always make sure anyone in the car I am in does the same. I still cringe at long-downhill-left-curving roads.

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

OK, I don't think I can compete with a kangaroo or wombat-related accident, although a deer leapt in front of my wife's car once. ;)

The scariest accident we had was a few years back, when we were driving down the interstate. The truck in front of us was towing a boat, and some kind of pole or something (still not sure exactly what it was) came loose from the boat and went flipping, end-over-end towards the windshield of our car. Fortunately, this projectile hit the hood of the car and bounced over us (missing the windshield). It smashed in the hood pretty badly, which led to a pretty hefty bill at the body shop, but no one was injured. It could have been very, very bad if the pole had gone through the windshield, though.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For me it wasn't so much a wreck (thank my Angel). But we spun out on I-495 in the DC area when a mattress feel off a car in front of us. I hit the breaks and went into a spin. How I didn't hit anyone is beyond me. When the car stopped its spin, I was facing North in the South bound lanes. With a car engine that had died. With a dump truck slamming on its breaks headed towards me. I have never felt so much fear in my life. Fortunately no one was hurt. And no drivers suffered anything than rattled nerves.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh and a guy I knew in HS rear ended an ambulance with it's lights on while he was on mushrooms. He always was a taco short of a combination plate, but that accident sure didn't help him any.

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

24. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

That reminds me of my roommate...her old Bug was in precarious condition, and she had a job interview she couldn't miss, and begged and begged to borrow my car. Knowing well how rough she was on anything she owned, I made her swear up and down and sideways to be careful with my car (I was still taking the bus to work back then). So of course, not a block away from the house, she looks down to fiddle with the radio, and rear-ends a pickup. She blamed this on my dirty windshield and depleted washer fluid. I haven't let out my car since.

I actually had an accident a couple Sundays ago, when we had a spot of unfamiliarly wintry weather here....I found myself going downhill a little faster than I liked (which in those icy conditions was anything faster than 5 mph) and gaining speed, so I applied the brakes. I found myself executing a lazy, walking-speed spin, ending up pointed mostly in the direction I'd come. Then I looked up to see a big old Grand Marquis doing exactly the same thing, right behind me. :O Slid around and hit my little bitty Ford Focus directly side-to-side at thankfully very low speed. No one was hurt, and goodness know that old boat of a car didn't take any damage; but my mirror was knocked off and the front passenger door dented. Thank the powers that be for duct tape.

Which reminds me, gotta call my insurance company. :D

25. VincentVega macrumors regular

Here's my story, also involving a Mini Cooper. Someone decided it would be a good idea to drive out from a side junction in front of my Mini. Took eight weeks to get the car back. I still suffer lower back pain from the accident - getting some compensation for that at some point, soon.

Had a scary experience in all the snow/ice we had in the UK over Xmas. Driving along, totally lost braking power due to the ice, car got *very* sideways, anti-lock brakes desperately working away, managed somehow to keep it away from any other cars/trees/pedestrians/buildings. No damage, thankfully.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53803