Committee Directs RNC to Preserve White House Emails

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Mar 26, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

oversight.house.gov

!!!!!!!!!

"it's not the crime that gets ya, it's the coverup"

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And further acts of people with nothing to hide...

People don't usually invoke the 5th unless they are worried about self-incrimination.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

hm, i guess i thought this would get a little more attention, since it's a clear violation of the Presidential Records Act. there's also a good chance that any communication made this way would not, in fact, be subject to executive privilege. oops!

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I think in Watergate it was Alexander Butterfield who just happened to mention that the President had recordings of his conversations. This could be just as big if Rove is really doing most of his business over at the RNC.

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

should be interesting. though sometimes i worry that non-blowjob stories won't get traction in the media.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Ah, you beat me to posting this story.

Hmm. Funneling your e-mails through private accounts so they're not part of the public record. Yeah, that looks innocent.

As far as gaining traction: the U.S. attorney story has already blown up into a bigger scandal than I ever thought it would. I just hope this most recent development will keep it going.

My fear is that there is so much corruption in this administration that the public may develop "sleaze fatigue"; i.e., they just can't keep up with it all.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, but they crime's pretty bad too. ;)

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well, it probably requires more information about the content of those emails before this rises to the level of a good attention drawing scandal.

Various campaign finanace reforms forbid elected officals from using their official offices and other tax payer provided facilities for political fund raising and other specifically political activities. Using an outside resource for those activities is quite common in Washington for politicians of both parties.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So what about using your government office and computer to send and receive political e-mails through your hotmail account?

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Let's see... when Al Gore used official WH communications equipment for party business he was raked over the coals. Now we have the Bushies doing the opposite: using party equipment to conduct official WH business.

Yet there is little outrage from the coroporate media. I wonder why?

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Unless it has Britney Spears or Anna Nicole the media or public don't care.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

proably because it was against the law for Gore to use his office for those purposes and not against the law for the Bushies to use the party equipment.

If you read Waxman's letter (linked at the link Zim provided), you'll see he never questions whether it's legal to use these outside accounts but rather that the law may require that these emails be preserved

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

if you're talking about emails for political fund raising, then using the government equipment would indeed be against the rules.....that's why "..when Al Gore used official WH communications equipment for party business he was raked over the coals..." as mactastic put it

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is there a law stating that you have to use the WH fax machine vs the one at Kinkos?

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Hmmm, now why would someone want to leave the cushy confines of the WH and go to Kinkos to send a fax...

I would think that those who are ELECTED to office in the US would follow a certain protocol and use official stationery, email addresses and fax machines when conducting official business. By choosing not to use the official versionso of the above, they're certainly suggesting that they don't want a paper trail left. To me that smacks of illegal or at the very least, illicit activity.

Our elected officials are expected to conduct business in a manner above reproach and not use their political machine to cover their tracks.

What would your boss say if you started using the local union office to conduct official business>?

16. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

for official business, yes. it's called the Presidential Records Act of 1978.

17. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

does it actually say that? can you provide a link? and identify the text where it says that, not just a general link to a copy of the act?

18. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i doubt it mentions kinko's, but any official communication through outside channels is clearly outside the spirit of the law.

feel free to read about the act here. sorry it's a general link.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It only says that a record has to be kept not where it has to of originated. As long as there is an email trail I don't really see anything about where that email has to of taken place.

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

then you should be asking yourself:
    1. why use the external email accounts?
    2. are records being kept per the Act?
    3. should i wonder if the administration is trying to hide something?

do these thoughts occur to you? because sometimes i think you're here not to learn about current events, but disturb others who are doing so.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

4. ask yourself, "What's supposed to be in these emails again?"
    5. if I look hard enough, could I find anything?

Zim, this isnt so much current events as you call them, but more like the "101 reasons why I hate the Bush Administration" show.

Where does oversight stop and ultra-micromanaging begin? The dont use official email accounts because what they're talking about is not official. Why don't we probe their minds to make sure that there wasn't any thought wrong doing, why stop at emails?

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You know what? I've had just about enough of your BS. Your defense of this administration is not only ridiculous, but verging on immoral. There has been NO oversight of this administration for at least 5 years- they've answered to no one. Now that they have to- you're all up in arms. As far as I'm concerned (as well as my friends and family who've fought in Iraq) these people should be strung up. I am seriously reaching my breaking point with these fools. And guess what? 70% of the US is starting to seriously doubt GW too.

23. aquajet macrumors 68020

Now you've done pissed Lee off. :eek:

You can't deny the BA has engaged in many eyebrow-raising activities, so when something looks even mildly suspicious, don't be surprised when people start asking questions. Also, you're accusation against Z is just silly. Yes he's critical, but even if he would like to murder everyone in the BA, there's still nothing wrong with asking questions.

BTW, maybe you could share with us what you've found in these "unofficial" emails. I assume you've reviewed them.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So you haven't read the e-mails then?

If you're not guilty, you have nothing to hide, remember? If they find something, was it worth looking? Do you really think Congress is doing nothing else? They have plenty to be mad at Bush about, as do the rest of us, why would they need to play this up above anything else? The Valerie Plame leak was the big story before this broke, they had plenty they could have done with that. And still are actually. But I'm guessing you think that's all made up too, right?

Why do you keep defending this obviously unethical and illegal behavior?

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

90% of the e-mails Karl Rove sends are unofficial business? What's he doing, operating a Nigerian bank scam on the side? :p