Commodore To Re-Enter Gaming Market!

Discussion in 'Games' started by greatdevourer, Mar 7, 2007.

1. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

mmmm interesting. I'm wondering if there really is another hole in the market for them though, or do we have 2007's Phantom replacement.

3. Agilus macrumors regular

Is it actually something like the Phantom? I thought they were just putting out a gaming PC?

If it's an established company like Commodore, versus the lone guy running the whole Phantom hoax (he had a history of scam companies, from what I understand), then I'd say it at least has a chance.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But who owns Commodore anymore ? Did IBM or Amstrad buy it at some point ?

I'm not sure what they will put out, but if its just the usual tower setups, then isn't there enough companies already doing that ?

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Good for them but to me it sounds like they're pulling a "Napster".

What I mean by that: They're releasing a new product, that has the same name as an older product, even though they have very little in common, simply to get some free brand recognition.

I suspect Commodore aficionados will feel it ain't anything similar to their old flame… unless maybe they bundle a few classics with it? (Space Taxi, Jumpman, Mission Impossible, Ghostbusters, Maniac Mansion, etc…) Or maybe a built-in Commodore emulator?

Sounds to me they're planning to do what Alienware is doing right now but with a Commodore logo on their box.

That's the interesting part. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'll wait and see.

6. amd4me macrumors 6502

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Can you say Commodore single handedly owned the European microcomputer market?

I don't like this news though. Commodore, and other microcomputers were cheap games systems that could also run utilities and non-game applications, sold more because computers were so dang expensive.
    They're simply not anymore. There is no need for a Commodore. If they make something super powered then it's going to be expensive = not Commodore.

That said, it would nice for another European game uprising. Japanese and American systems, IMO all fail compared to my Amiga 600 :)

8. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I doubt it. The Commodore brand has long since lost any meaning to anyone except some old-timers, who won't likely be much interested in a gaming PC that has the name "Commodore" attached to it for no particular reason. I know I'm not interested....

--Eric

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I wonder if this will attract the same smelly group of individuals that frequented the Amiga closeout section when I worked for Software Etc. 15 billion years ago. :)

I loved the Commodore and have been hoping to see a picture of this new incarnation. It makes me think of SGI's entry into the PC realm. Anyway, my brother bought the one with a 5" color screen built-in, then one of the later models, which he gave me to use for a couple of years before he sold it.

I just hope that they don't use the same stealth marketing tatic that they used for the Amiga here in the US. I recall walking into our local Amiga store at the time with a friend, and both of us being completely ignored, because they had just got in an Amiga 4000 and were excessively drooling over it.

And speaking of the Phantom: At E3 2 years back, or maybe 3, they had them on display running Unreal Tournament. I noticed that each console had huge cables running out the back into an out-of-place Sony recievers from the late seventies, which I'm pretty sure were disguised PCs and the console was just a plastic shell.

<]=)

10. BuzWeaver macrumors regular

BuzWeaver

11. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

It seems like every year I hear news about this. It's not April 1st already, is it?

Either way..I loved the old C64 :)

12. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Bummer. Looks like there's nothing special or "Commodore" about it. Just another gaming PC from the looks of it.

I was hoping for a surprise. :/

Link

Load "Disappointed", 8, 1

13. Old Mac Geezer macrumors member

It is complete rubbish. Commodore no longer exists. They liquidated in the early 90's. Someone does own the rights to the Amiga, and Amiga clones are still made in Europe, but the rest of Commodore is long gone. Besides, if all they are doing is making PC's, what makes them special??

Here's a link to the UK site

http://www.commodoregaming.com/pcshop/Home.aspx

Looks like a typical Alienware, Voodoo PC or Falcon Northwest setup to me. There are already too many boutique computer makers out there and most people have the skills to build a similar equipped machine on their own for a lot less money.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well as predicted. Nothing but a load of old s**t

15. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Gaming PC's..? What the heck is exciting about that? :confused:

If something should be released with the Commodore logo on it, it should be a re-release of the Amiga 500 or Commodore 64. The two classic Commodore machines! Could be nice to re-live the moment where you unpacked the brand-new A500/C64, that had that "new hardware smell".. Oi, oi.. Ah well, that will never happen. Just a short dream.. :eek:

16. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

17. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Damn, that Atari Basic looks like the C64, after a Run/Stop-Restore - if you guys know what I mean.. :)

18. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Commodore's gaming machines!

http://www.commodoregaming.com/pcshop/Home.aspx

Wow.

Quad cores, SLI 8800s, 4GB RAM, 10k RPM RAID and 7200k RPM RAID...at the high end, of course.

The case looks nice in the plain black but you can also get a variety of "skins".

Colour-adjustable internal lighting.

C64 emulator!

Wonder how much these will cost.

Attached Files:

19. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Might have to follow this news. Although, I am perfectly happy with my Power64 emulator. :)

Wow, after reading this some more, I understand that this is a new brand of PC. What OS does it run? Has Commodore at least created its own? If it's Windows, then I fail to see the benefit of this machine, other than being another generic in the IBM-clone market.

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That's pretty cute that they come preloaded with a C64 emulator.

UK only though?

21. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Yeah, quad core and SLI seems a bit much to play Manic Miner.

22. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

23. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

As I mentioned in my edited post, I wonder what OS this thing runs. I'd like to see some "Commodore" innovation. How about a Commodore OS?

24. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

25. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

The 64 bit version of Vista.

Commodore must be writing their own drivers or something.