Communist China?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dont Hurt Me, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

We have the "president" of China visiting Bush's Whitehouse and Bush & gang muff it it up and no one here at MacRumors is talking? I am very glad Hu got a tongue lashing by a woman. Bush looked like a dog in heat and Hu looked like he could care a less. Thats my take.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Makes a mockery of Bush's crusade to promote democracy, doesn't it? When there's money involved, his principals disappear under the carpet pretty quickly.

Mind you, the British Government are no better. When the Chinese President visited us, they strategically moved police vans to hide all the protests from the delegation.

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

I think the overall policy of engagement is a good one - bringing China into the world community rather than isolating it. What Bush does wrong though is he doesn't set any conditions on access to our markets. China has no incentive to change if you just give them everything from the get-go. Some outstanding issues that we should demand progress on are:
    - intellectual property protection
    - currency pegged too low
    - economy that protects local firms at expense of foreign firms
    - human rights, such as religious freedoms
    - taiwan and other military ambitions
    - environment and energy consumption
    - more support on N. Korea

4. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

The states need Chinese trade, as much as China needs u.s markets.. thats the problem.

As a previous poster mentioned, as soon as there is $$$ involved Bush loses all his principles!

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Bush has principles?

Anyway, facing up to facts, China isn't really a Communist state any longer. They are a capitalist totalitarian state, far closer to fascism than Communism. The Chinese government is deliberately depopulating the rural areas to create a constant supply of cheap and disposable labor for manufacturing in the cities (Wal-Mart thanks them). The economy may be growing at a phenomenal rate, but this is occurring only in isolated areas, and on the backs of the Chinese people, who will continue to lack political power for as long as the party leaders can keep the population under control. I doubt presidents Bush and Hu had much of a conversation about any of this.

I also watched with interest as the human rights heckler was arrested and hauled off, probably to be charged with some obscure crime that amounts to the inconvenient exercise of free speech. Irony does not begin to describe this incident.

6. calculus Guest

calculus

Probably best to start this at home...

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I worry the private conversation didn't go much farther than a discussion of preferred toothpaste brand.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I doubt they could even share in that.

Most likely Pres. Bush mentioned that he really likes Chinese food and how he spent lots of time at a local Chinese restaurant growing up.

9. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I doubt Bush could mentioned anything pro American or pro democracy while he was kissing Hu's rear end.
    Whats really in it for America other then cheapo goods and ceo's who become multi millionaires while moving all the factories.? We have sold our soles for cheap goods and i do mean cheap in more ways then one.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Like the macs we all love?

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Not all of the goods are cheaply made. I haven't seen too many electronic products that are consumer-oriented that are not made in China. It's a matter of what you'll accept, though. If you buy a DVD recorder for $85, you'll end up buying 3 at $85 instead of buying 1 at $199. I still don't think that most Americans have gotten the idea about quality, so they settle for whatever you give them. The last t.v. I bought was built in the U.S.A. by Magnavox but it was the exception. It's hard to find excellent quality among American-made goods.

12. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I confess i have a chineese made mac and whats up with the cheapo mouse and usb cable? Yes the Mini is doing well but will admit many chineese stuff purchased through the years and crap it was, a chineese drill lasted a few days, imitation tuberware pure garbage wife bought the non sealing crap, and a few other things. I now know Made in China means made in China. I prey our Mini has most parts imported elsewhere and assembled in China:eek:
    I also have American Tv and we love it, a Sanyo made in Arkansas:D Perfect but its just a 27" flat screen.

13. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Both of these two instances profoundly depressed me. Two 'stalwarts' of upholding the hard-won democratic rights of free-speech and expression just crumbled in the face of a visiting tyrant - presumably for economic/political expediency.

When it happened here (England, as dynamicv referred to), not only did the police place their vans to screen out the protesters, but they arrested (on an as yet unexplained charge) one of them just for carrying a protest placard. As far as I am aware, there is no law prohibiting anybody from walking along a street here carrying any sort of placard (except within a certain distance of the Houses of Parliament). The police claimed that they were not operating under government orders. So we have a police state as well as a totalitarian government.

In this recent USA case, the protester was bundled away by 'security' forces. It will be interesting indeed to hear if she will be charged and what that charge will be.

But how the Chinese hierarchy must laugh themselves sick when they hear Blair/Bush talk about human rights and freedoms and ---- as IJReilly says, irony is such an inadequate word.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

according to a local news station, it's disorderly conduct.

15. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Thanks for the info.
    I think I will carry on being depressed then. *sigh*
    Just who the hell are the oppressed and down-trodden to turn when their defenders are arrested?

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

As I was saying...

17. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

We should follow her plight though in poor taste she was givin this right by our forfathers of this great country, not by lawyers who waterdowned everything in the Constitution. I will be curious to see what happens to her. This was a communist leader for gods sake and no matter how much spin is applied do horrible things to their people everyday who have little say or freedom of speech. Fact is our Big business megacorporations are making billions off the Chinaman and Bush & Hu are Happy about that. This weakens our country and strengthens China. Bush is representing something but it isnt our country.

18. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I was under the impression that she was more of a religious protestor than a human rights heckler.

Protestor mars Hu visit

So, for once there appeared to be a desire to separate church and state. ;)

19. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Falun Gong is NOT, and has never been, a religion (see here). And your remarks side-step the basics that, even if it was, the protestor was prevented from exercising her constitutionally guaranteed (am I correct?) freedoms by the security services. it is this aspect, surely, that is at the heart of what is happening?

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A distinction without a difference.

21. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

So very true.

22. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You're all so damn serious. I was just trying to make a joke about how hauling away a religious protester at a government event might be seen as an attempt to separate church and state. I'll just move along...

23. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Wolf Blitz is getting ready to show his interview with her. Now

24. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

whoops! looks like the charges have been trumped up: