Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muffinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
San Diego, California
Do you guys commute to work or school by anything other than a car? Do you like commuting that way? Do you do it out of necessity or just to be "different?"

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
I was a commuter student as an undergrad and I took the train and the "El." I preferred it to driving because Chicago traffic is terrible, and also, I could sit on the train and study, which I obviously couldn't do if I were trying to concentrate on driving.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I live out in suburbia, so I take the MAX (Portland's lightrail train system) into downtown where I go to school. Since I don't have my liscence yet (1 more month!) I take the streetcar (in-town lightrail) or the bus or walk. I love it, walking 20+ blocks a day has gotten me into better shape, and I know all of Portland really well.

Even when I can drive, I don't think I will, it is only 15 minutes on the MAX, and I have a PSP so I don't have to pay attention to fat drooling guy or my stalker, who somehow manages to be on every train that I am, and gets off at every stop I get off at, even if I get off at different stops!

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
i walk to my high school.. i'm about a 10 minute walk away, and it wakes me up nicely in the morning ;)

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
I walk to school most days (about a 10-15 minute walk), but sometimes I'll take my bike if it's not too cold out.

I have to be careful with the bike though, since there is a lot of glass and sharp objects on the roads and sidewalks around here (I already got 3 flat tires this year). There is also a road near my house that has a section of cobblestones (and potholes), so I definately avoid that when I'm riding.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
muffinman said:
Do you guys commute to work or school by anything other than a car? Do you like commuting that way? Do you do it out of necessity or just to be "different?"

Your question is loaded because people who have a good public transportation system are more likely to commute i.e. major metro areas. The areas without will be forced to use a car or other means. Also, your question is directed at Americans (other than the ones that actually have trains, subways, and a decent bus system in their cities) because in different parts of the world public transportation is used a lot and commuting wouldn't be "different" rather normal. In other words some people don't have public transportation where they live.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I drive to school, it's the quickest and most effective way and still takes about 7-10 minutes... The bus stops are few and the buses running are even fewer. Maybe one every 45 minutes.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I live on campus so I walk to class. when I'm home for the summer I drive to work though, its way too far to walk, and public transit is nonexistant in suburbia STL

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I take the train when I work in the city. My husband commutes an hour each way by car.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I drive about 30 minutes to school every day and the hospital is about 6-7 minutes away from me for when i go to work.

I actually enjoy my commute to school, basically stay on the same road the entire time and i get to relax

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I wish I could commute by something other than car, but my school is really too far away for biking to be feasible, and taking the bus would require me driving for almost as far in a different direction, taking it to downtown Providence, and then taking it to school. I figure it would take me 2-3 times as long, and probably not save me any money. My first year of college, though, I only had to cross Huntington Ave. in Boston to get to class, which was an adventure itself sometimes.
Back in high school, I also went by car, because my father worked at another school nearby. I also didn't feel like taking over an hour to get home by taking the bus.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
I am killing the planet slowly with my motor vehicle.

I drive 45 minutes every day (Nowhere CT. to Providence). I used to drive 45 minutes every day (Ithaca, NY to Elmira, NY). My next job, no more than a 5 minute commute.

Losing an hour and a half of my life every day for 6 years has really worn me down ...

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Drive 20mins, to get one a bus for another 20-30min

Because i would have to get up much earlyer to get the bus near my house. I would have to wake up on 5 AM to get the bus, now i get to wake up at 6.15

Well worth the 20mins in a car

muffinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
San Diego, California
superbovine said:
Your question is loaded because most would that have a good public transportation system are more likely to commute i.e. major metro areas. The areas without will be forced to use a car or other means. Also, your question is directed at Americans (other than the ones that actually have trains, subways, and a decent bus system in their cities) because in different parts of the world public transportation is used a lot and commuting wouldn't be "different" rather normal. In other words some people don't have public transportation where they live.

true.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I commute. Driving wouldn't be practical since there's nowhere to park at the other end; I don't even own a car at the moment since I'd use it so seldomly.

I have a reasonable commute by London standards - but a long one by the ones so far listed.

I get a bus for 15-20 minutes, then a train/Tube for 10 minutes and then another Tube for 5 minutes - and then a 10 minute walk. I can get a single bus but it takes a lot longer - so in the mornings, I always take the more fragmented route and get an extra 20 minutes in bed.

It's not so bad... I read a lot more so I feel it's slightly more productive than if I was driving. I hate being stuck on public transport with nothing to read.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Well for the past year I've been working from home full-time, so my commute has been walking down the stairs to my "office" room.

However from tomorrow, I'm starting on a new project so I have to be back in the office for a while. :(

I'll be getting up early (which I'm useless at) and taking the Tube to work. The total commute is approx 40 minutes including the walk at each end.

cry-1.gif

It's the end of an era.

Oh I did skate to work once when the tube was suspended, but it took a bit longer, especially as I took a wrong turn and ended up adding some unnecessary extra mileage!

L

Lau

I've got 3 main choices - cycle, walk or bus.

My college is up a giant hill o' doom, so getting there is either a:

20 minute (grossly sweaty) cycle ride
30 minute (slightly sweaty) walk
10 minute bus ride (but unreliable, infrequent and an outrageous £1.50 single)

getting home is a:

10 minute cycle (much of which isn't pedalling :D )
30 minute walk
and I would never get the bus home, because it's downhill and expensive.

These days I usually walk, as taking another t-shirt and general cycling paraphenalia isnt worth it to save a few minutes. I'm really committed to using public transport (or my own two feet) but Bath certainly doesn't make it easy. The buses and trains are expensive and very unreliable, and the hills, traffic and one way system don't make it easy to walk or cycle. I can see why everyone drives here. Anyway, I'm voting with my feet in 2 or 3 months time when I graduate. This city sucks. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.