comon apple give us a touchpad driver!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dragon2611, Aug 26, 2006.

1. dragon2611 macrumors regular

As title, i miss the ablity to tap under windows xp :(

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I agree :) And two-finger right click is all the way to go...

3. Zuplar macrumors regular

Zuplar

i know this is an old thread but does anyone know if they have a driver yet? is there a third party driver?

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

There aren't any that I know of, or that I can find. Remember, Apple prefers that you don't run Windoze, they just make it so you can, but not necessarily comfortably.

Don

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

The driver can only so much as tell the OS what the device is and how does it function and help the OS in utilizing the hardware!

The point here is.... how the OS implements the utility is completely OS dependent! As of now... there's no advanced touch support bundled with Vista so it can only recognize the usual edge scroll and stuff! There are 3rd party softwares which enhance this implementation but Apple really should provide a software for the touchpad and bypass Vista's completely inadequate one!

7. Zuplar macrumors regular

Zuplar

well what drivers are there to enhance it? i can't find anything, and i'm just wanting the touch click option.

8. Andrew275 macrumors newbie

It's not Vista's fault at all. Every other laptop manufacturer provides drivers that provide a full range of trackpad functionality. Apple chooses not to. It's totally Apple's fault.

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Agreed but Apple is not to be blamed Completely! Apple provides Printer Drivers for almost every printer ever built on this planet....... Vista doesnt! Why not?

But the thing here is that even Apple cant help much because Vista simply does not have that advance a touch controller sub-kernel! So even if Apple made a driver... it would be an almost futile effort!

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Microsoft doesn't provide every printers driver bundled with the OS but if you plug a printer into Vista it will automatically download the driver. My printer wasn't so plug and play with OS X and I had to hunt for a driver - and it's a relatively new printer, from 2007.

Any laptop manufacturer is responsible for the drivers of their trackpad. Vista knows that it IS a trackpad and knows that when your finger moves, so does the cursor. The Alienware m15x has one button and looks like the MB and MBP trackpads but it still works with right click because Alienware included drivers. If Apple made a driver for Windows, the TrackPad would work flawlessly.