comp to comp wireless networking

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mrjamin, Jun 5, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

How many people can you get on a computer to computer wireless network? At first i thought you could only have 2 communicating with eachother, then i was at my gf's house with my best mate - i have an iBook, he has a TiBook and she has a 17" iMac. Our plan was to play a 3-way game of UT - so i joined her wifi comp2comp network, then we used a x-over cable between the iMac and TiBook. Then, we noticed that when the TiBook had airport on, we could both join the iMac's comp2comp network so there were three of us on it.

Any idea how many people you can run off one machine's network??

2. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I actually spent awhile looking this up and my original guess was for as many IPs as it could give out. This is what my school's wireless site says:

3. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

bare in mind that this is one network created by a computer, not an access point!

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think it operates the same whether it is a physical base station or a software base station.

5. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

IIRC, airport can do 50 simultaneous users (addressable). anything over 10 becomes quite messy though, not to mention slow. i am not sure how many can "share" when you have cable modem or dls over ethernet to a Mac, then have the Mac do the wireless for you... i would presume the same 50.