compact, entry-level, hd camcorder suggestions

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mashinhead, Oct 31, 2006.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Oct 7, 2003
    right now looking at these two: canon hv10 vs Sony HDR-SR1 (for anyone that knows about it), but i'm willing but any other suggestions are welcome!
  2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    i don't really know but i want to know what the ring is used for in the sony. Is it for focusing or for zoom or both?I also want to know if its mac-friendly
  3. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

Aug 8, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    I got a buddy who's got a Sony HD, works like a charm...

I'd definatly go away from the HDD based cam's though, at this point, Mini-DV is basically the only way to go, especially for importing your footage to a Mac.

The cannons pretty nice, but it's matchbox style may be a bit

EDIT: Try the HDR-HC1 Maybe the HDR-FX1 too???
  4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    Looking at the reviews, the Hard Disk based HD camcorders still aren't as good as the tape based ones. While the Hard Disk ones have more inputs, they don't have as good video quality because they use much higher compression.

As for the tape based ones, the Canon has the best video quality if you are mainly filming in daylight/bright light, but isn't as good as the Sony HC1/HC3 in low light. The HC3 is cheaper than the HC1 and has slightly better video quality, but the HC3 lacks a few of the features that the HC1 has (like not having a standard mic input).