Compact Flash Memory Card Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by IGregory, Dec 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Does anyone have a recommendation for a compact flash memory card to use with a Canon EOS 5D Mark 3? B and H recommends the Scan Disk. :)

2. macrumors regular

I would recommend Sandisk as well - I have never had a problem with their cards. What speed is totally up to you.

3. macrumors G3

I've used Sandisk and Lexar. B&H is making a good recommendation in my opinion.

4. macrumors 68040

MCAsan

I use Lexar 32GB 1000x in mine. You want UDMA 7 compliant cards to get the fastest write speeds so that high speed shooting has min delays clear the buffer to the card. Also if you use a Lexar USB 3 dual slot reader, you will get fast read times into the computer as it is UDMA 7 compliant also.

Anyone wanting fast SD or CF cards should see Ron's test results which are done per camera.
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12452

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Thanks guys, your thoughts are very much appreciated.

6. macrumors 6502

steveash

Yep Sandisk or Lexar. Don't buy from untrusted people like ebay sellers as there are many cheap fakes around that fail and loose images.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Thank you Steve.

8. macrumors 6502

SanDisk hands down. I personally use a 16gb 30mb/s with my Mark 2.

9. macrumors newbie

Agree. SanDisk, but also because of RescuePro

I also use the SanDisk cards in my 5D, but one perhaps overlooked advantage is that I get a small CD with a copy of RescuePro software on it as part of the purchase of the SanDisk card. I have used this software now, twice, to rescue images from a card where formatting by either a PC/MAC went awry, or the camera format got frazzled. In both instances RescuePro, running on my Mac, was able to locate the missing images, AND MORE FROM PAST erasures, so I am VERY pleased with this PLUS with the purchase of a card from SanDisk. Just thought you might find that interesting.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Thank you sir.