Compact Home Gym - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phanofwclark, Nov 10, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

I am planning on getting a complete, compact gym for my house for the family sometime before Christmas. I need it to fit in a fairly small area and still be usable (something like 7 by 5 feet, and up to 8 vertically). Budget-wise, something below $3000 would be nice, but I can fudge the numbers a little bit. i would like the equipment to be able to perform a wide array of exercises, targeting everything from biceps to quads. I don't know anything about brands or the quality of service of certain companies, nor the warranties etc. that I should get, so any recommendations of gyms would be great.

I am currently looking at this, but it may be a little big in the house. However, it has a lot of features and the cost is not too ridiculous.

http://www.mercantila.com/catalog/store/Bodycraft_Galena_Home_Gym_II_Home_Gym

2. macrumors 604

ravenvii

Forget those contraceptions you see on informercials.

Get a olympic barbell, and a few weights (either plates or bumpers), based on where you are right now fitness-wise, and as you gain strength, buy new plates as you go. And buy some dumbells (with the same idea behind the plates/bumpers - get new ones as you go). And a adjustable bench. And that's pretty much all you need in a complete gym. With those you can train all of your muscles. All of those can run you under $500 at first, a bit more maybe.

Check out Bigger Faster Stronger for equipment. They sell good, middle-range equipment for good prices. Not too fancy, but not crappy.

http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/

3. Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

check out the hoist v5: http://www.geartrends.com/cgi-bin/geartrends/xdpy/pd/01275/

we were about to get one but then realized we didn't have quite enough space for this in our room. we just have an elliptical machine and some free weights for the moment, but this model is at the top of our list when we get to a place with enough room for one...

4. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, different sorts of weights is all you need, in reality. However, I do enjoy using those machines while I'm at the gym.

5. macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Wouldnt bother with that $1300 piece of equipment, just get some decent dumbells, a barbell and a bench and you will be fine,

Shadow

6. macrumors 6502a

Why not actually join a GYM? For a fraction of the kind of money you have there you can join a decent gym. The equipment in most top end gyms is awesome thesedays, plus you'll get help and advice from more experienced members. All of the gyms I've frequented since taking up weights and cycling have had a positive helpful atmosphere. You mention you need this for the family? Well most gyms thesedays are flexible enough for this, plus there are other "chillin out" facilities like the sauna and spar...etc. Join a club man!