Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Help! I need to get some images and info of products that companies have put out that copy Apple ever since the 70's. It's for a project I'm doing about how Apple is the driving force of the PC industry.

I'd much appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks a bunch...doesnt matter how old or recent it is...its all good. :D

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
here ae two huge ones

SONY

and

Gateway

They copy apple like crazy

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Just about every company in the world with just about every product released between 1998 and now....... :p Translucent bondi blue plastic everywhere.....!!

Sickly!! :D :p :p

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Originally posted by iGAV
Just about every company in the world with just about every product released between 1998 and now....... :p Translucent bondi blue plastic everywhere.....!!

Sickly!! :D :p :p

That's true!!!
anything biginning with i that isn't Apple is copying Apple.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ever since the original iMacs came out, we've been seeing all sort of brightly colored plastic, in multiple colors in almost every type of manufactured item. I've seen hospital equipment that had the iMac design look, toasters and microwaves, cell phones have the interchangeable face plates. Almost everywhere you look you can see examples. This is one of Apples truly greatest contributions in the 90s, their design style was copied everywhere.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Gee, let's get old school for a second.

How bout the floppy drive, the mouse, the GUI, the OS, Windows in general, firewire, wireless networking, DVD superdrives, etc.

I can't say for sure that apple was developer of any of these technologies or even the first to use them, but I'd take a look at some of the histories of those.

Pirates of Silicon Valley (a movie you can purchase at the MacRumors gift shop in support of this site I think) has an interesting take on Gate's theft of the Windows idea.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Apple didn't create colored plastic products but it has the credit of making them a fashion in the map. That is a design that comes from the 80's specially with the transparent telephones that end up with neaon lights inside.

Apple jsut boosted the idea with the iMac, if that "fashion" is in the 90's is because of Apple for sure, and no mention the influence in the industry.

Right now is hard to find a PC enclosure without a colored plastic design some where. I have seen really uglie computer desk actually.

If is not made by Apple, I get it beige.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.