Company will buy me a MultiFunction Printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stubeeef, Aug 23, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    From my brief reading, I am closing in on the Canon Pixma 780 and the Brother MFC-5480.

canon pixma 780 brother 5840

Knowing I don't know much about these in the real world, and having read lots of reviews I do know...
    A) Don't want HP anymore
    B) StandAlone Faxing is paramount (superG3 is great)
    C) Scanning is least important and doesn't need to even be available
    D) Would love it to work well off an airport express. I have an epson printer on one that the whole family can use, and works perfect 98% of the time. The epson doesn't have fax capability.
    E) I am pretty sure over $400 or so might raise an eyebrow.
    F) Primary use is off of my dell laptop (company issue) but I want it to work with the Macs too please. That is why I am only asking here.
    G) Color is what I want, will do B/W if I have too, but company is paying for inkjet cartridges too.
    H) Want it to have flatbed, legal capable is good

First and Second person (you have a close friend or family member that is have a good or bad experience) comments are most welcome, and IT people just jump on in.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    why don't u like HP's? i'm looking into getting an HP
  3. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    I have had previous paperhandling issues, ink is expensive, software has been awful. Last HP was 4 years ago, I used to swear by them, worshipped them, bought them, recommended them. No I steer clear of them.

Look on review sites, editors rate them high but users hate'm. The editors will slam on brothers, but my best buddy has one for his personal office (all mac) and swears by it, review site users rate'm pretty well (not the customer support though).
  4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I would stay away from brother. We have three brand new ones at work and they've all crapped out on us at least 6 times. I know it's 6 because the printer repair guy is super hot and women notice how often they come around. :)
  5. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    WOW, what model?
    Was also thinking of the mfc 8440

edit: just read reviews on apple store site, and the canon is great if you don't mind it won't work with AE.! :mad:
  6. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    just bought a canon pixma 780 on clearance at office Depot for 212.00 before tax. I just bought a canon s2is camera last week and there is a $50 rebate on that combo that I know qualify for, therefore the effective price of the pixma 780 = $162! That is just slammin. Now this printer is not airport express compatible, but for that price, I am ok with it.
  7. texlaw04 macrumors newbie

Sep 15, 2005
    Brother is reliable

My 2-year-old MFC-8500 still works great. When introduced, there was no driver for OSX, but now Brother seems to offer full support for Tiger. It works well!

Plus, the aftermarket replacement cartridges are cheap!