Comparatively Slow Windows Boot

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by CDN, Aug 26, 2006.

1. CDN macrumors newbie

I occasionally run Windows on my MBP in order to use a few apps that aren't yet available in UB. Of course, OS X boots almost instantaneously relative to Windows (awesome) . . . but as a recent Mac switcher, I can't help but compare the boot speed of my former Windows machine and the boot speed of my MBP into Windows, and notice that the latter is noticably slower. Anyone else experience this? Is it something to be concerned about?

2. skibob1027 macrumors member

I've noticed this as well. I don't know the cause, but something about holding down the option key during boot causes it to slow up on my Intel iMac, rather than just going straight to the OS selection page.

3. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

I noticed windows would boot up rather quickly after a clean install, but as the weeks progressed, it would boot up slower and slower. Everything running under windows was much slower as well. I did another clean install and it would do the same thing, so naturally I got rid of windows entirely.

I have a intel mac mini core duo.

4. Terrabit macrumors newbie

Fix to slow windows boot.

Hi.,

The problem appears to be that you need to have the appropriate Intel SATA drivers installed on the CD Installation disc used to install XP. Don't ask me why, i don't know. But i know that i have full speed SATA on my system when following the steps described here:

http://web.mac.com/terrabit/iWeb/macpro/

Please let me know if it works for you.
    Terrabit!

p.s. This also fixes the problem of users only having Windows XP Service Pack 1 installation discs.

5. CDN thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses!

To Terrabit - the link you sent mentions that the fix is specifically for the Mac Pro - are you saying that the same steps should be taken for a MacBook Pro as well?

6. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

I just ran into this thread, and I too, experience a slow start into winxp pro... But before I start into it, I go into the startup disc option and choose the windows partion as a startup disc.. I don't hit the option key...

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that the link you provided didn't work for me... Got another one? Thanks!

7. stapler macrumors member

Um...that SATA problem shouldn't apply to anything but the Mac Pro, terrabit. Not positive but I think that's the case.