Compare Software "base Station" And Hardware (airport) Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by redAPPLE, Sep 20, 2002.

1. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i know that jaguar has to option to allow to be a "software base station".

i never tried it yet. as i really do not have the time right now.

maybe some of you guys have tried it.

i got an airport base station. so i do not really care for the software option.

but my question is... do you guys know any advantages OR even disadvantages between the software option and the hardware option?

well, i guess one gets the chance to network computers without the hardware, but is that the only advantage?

how about network connections? does the hardware option have a better reception?

thanks for any comments :)

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

im currently using the software basestation. ive never used the airport though. but i do know that one advantage so far in using the airport over software is that you dont have to be worried about your connection being disconected when the server computer restarts or turns off. with software basestation i have to connect to the network everytime after i shut off my laptop and or the server puter restarts. not that im being picky its not really that much trouble anyways. also id assume that the reception with the airport basestation is better but im not sure. im sure there are other advantages.

3. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Of course there is the advantage of distance. The range of each computer is limited, and the airport would lengthen the possible distance.

Ive sketched something to visualize what I mean.

Edit: I love Inkwell!;) :D

Attached Files:

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

5. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

as you can see from the scheme, it should be about double the distance. Ive heard that one Airport unit (Computer or base) has a radius of about 30 Meters, but please correct me if Im wrong, this number is unconfirmed.

6. redAPPLE thread starter macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

that's cool man. thx.

7. Valkyrie macrumors newbie

How do I enable it

I want to make my powerbook a base station but I am not sure how to do it. can anyone help me out?

8. Choppaface macrumors 65816

ya, I believe it is stated to be about 100 ft, but it can be much less depending on interference. generally I've found the hardware base station to provide a stronger signal