comparing FB-DIMMs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zoran, Feb 4, 2007.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

Please note: Apple created a more robust thermal specification for the mac pro FB-DIMM heat sinks that provide more efficient cooling than many other FB-DIMMs. These FB-DIMMs require less airflow to stay cool and allow the internal fans to spin at slower speeds, improving system acoustics. FB-DIMMs made by other manufacturers that do not include a sufficient heat sink may cause the fans to run faster (and louder) or the memory chips to run slower so as not to overheat.

Is this true regarding the FB-DIMMs Apple creates compared to other manufacturers? Has anyone tested the two?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Basically yes. When the machine first came out some FB-DIMMs were shown to not work or reduce performance under load conditions.

Anything certified to work is fine though. Crucial and others have released FB-DIMMs with the required heat sinks which work fine.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Can someone name the certified brands? Are they mutch cheeper than Apples FB-DIMMS?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Depends where you live as to what is available. In the UK the only ones I am aware of are from Crucial. And yes, they are much cheaper than Apple, but they are still much more expensive than "normal" RAM.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Don't compare FB-DIMMs, compare sellers.

Look for a reputable seller, who knows Macs and offers guaranteed compatibility with the MacPro, a lifetime warranty and a no cost return if they don't work.

In the USA, MR readers most often recommend Crucial, OWC and Data Memory Systems.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

canadaRAM is correct. A good reseller will not sell any RAM that they think will not work right.

A few months ago when I first added RAM to my Mac Pro I went to the Apple Store. At that time any RAM that was garrentied to complie with Apple spec was as expencive for more then Apple. A few weeks ago I realized that I coould use some more RAM. Now rules to quilify RAM to Apple spec's was revised. Making it easier for a company to make RAM that will work well in the Mac Pro. The first Apple specification was not very specific.

I went to OWC and bought 2GB of RAM. I got the exact RAM modules used by Apple and heat sinks that complied with Apple.(and they looked quite similar) I decided to go for this when I noticed

A) Lifetime warrenty on the RAM

B) 14 day return if your not happy with the RAM

So I was able to plug the RAM in and monitor the temp of the RAM bay and know that if I did not like the heat increase I could send the RAM back for a full refund.

I only had a 10 degree increase on temp that I can atest to just having 2 more sticks in the computer.....:D

EDIT: btw I only spent $370 on the RAM....

7. TheFuzz macrumors regular

i got 4 of these and they have been working great. they run a little warmer than the 4x512mb apple sticks i got with the computer but no problems.

8. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

How could you monitor the temp of the RAM bay? And whats the highest level it must not reach?

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

via the coolest widget in the world.:D

iStat Pro
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html

And as for the highest temp for the RAM to run at I myself do not know. I have been just basing it off how fast my fans are running