Comparing HD-DVD/Blu-ray to Standard DVD

Discussion in 'Games' started by clayj, Nov 17, 2006.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I know this point has been raised elsewhere, but I thought it would be nice to have a separate thread for it.

It has been stated: "Unless you have a TV that can display 1920 x 1080, HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray aren't going to look much better than upconverted DVD."

Not true. Even if your TV is only capable of displaying 720p, the fact remains that HD-DVD and Blu-ray both contain MORE than enough data per frame to show you the maximum amount of detail your display can show. With upconverted standard DVD (remember, standard DVDs are encoded at 480p at best), the player may generate more pixels to make the image be HD, but many of those pixels are extrapolated by the player... in other words, you're getting an HD picture, but the pixels in the picture are not as "unique" or "original" as they would be in a true HD movie disc. The upconversion process can make MORE pixels, but it can't create NEW pixels.

For example, I can definitely tell the difference in picture quality between the HD-DVD versions of Serenity or Batman Begins (displayed at 1366 x 768 resolution on my bedroom TV) and the upconverted-to-720p standard DVD versions of these same two movies. They're both very sharp, yes, but the HD-DVD versions contain extra detail not found on the standard DVDs.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Agreed. Huge difference between SD and HD media, especially with real film. CG gets by a little easier on plain DVD since digital-to-digital transfers ensure just about the best picture quality that the format can muster.

3. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

are you using the xbox 360 HD DVD drive to view them? If so have you tried pluging that puppy into your Mac to see if VLC will play HD DVD?:confused:

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Clayj - a slightly off topic question but still in relation to the HD-DVD.

Can 360 games be booted from it ?

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Won't work.

6. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Haven't tried it yet. Next time I fire up that 360, I'll give it a whirl.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

360 games won't boot from the hd-dvd drive. sorry. the 360 asks you to put the disc into the console instead...

as for needing a 1080p display to appreciate the difference between upconverted DVD and real HD content, nobody who has had any kind of real HD programming (though cable or satellite or with an HD-DVD/BR drive or with an HTPC) would give that claim a second thought. Even less-than-stellar HD looks much better than upconverted DVD. Approximate comparison: highly compressed jpg image vs. RAW image file. And that's when viewing on a 720p screen.

and the difference is more unless you've got a faroudja deinterlacer like the one in Denon's high-end upconverting DVD players.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Will HD-DVD or BluRay make bad films good? Because short of that I'll stick with DVD/Downloadable films. I downloaded the HD version of Lost 3 the other day and it still didn't answer any questions :confused:

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I disagree. :p Of course HD is an improvement over SD, but in all honesty it only really makes a difference for certain material, imo. Sports being the biggest one - HD sports are much, much better than SD broadcasts. Movies on the other hand, I feel gain less from HD than sports do.

I think this has to do with how movies are shot, edited, mastered, etc. Sports are a live event so there is a certain amount "here's the picture without a whole ton of post processing and cleaning up", so more visual data is good. They're not clean, precise events. For a movie, though, months and months are spent making it look perfect - the details that you are seeing with HD sports just aren't there anymore, they've been filtered, airbrushed, etc. out.

There's more to it than that, but all in all a good scaler (like the Faroudja which is in the better upconverting DVD players like Oppo and Denon) can really put in those "missing" pixels... the source is so clean that the interpolation can be quite accurate. No, it's NOT as good as HD, but it's pretty darn close and the difference isn't $500 for a new player + purchasing movies again.

Oh, the other place where HD shines is big, big screens. Not your "big screen" 45" plasma. I mean the big time 100"+ projectors. DVD starts to show it's flaws around 98", imo, and going to 720p or higher really begins destroy standard DVD quality.

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

98"???

iyho indeed....

there is a big difference between 720x480 from an interlaced (dvd) source and 1280x720 from a non-interlaced (hd) source, even on a 42" ED (848x480) plasma (there aren't any 45" plasmas that I'm aware of). move up to 50" and 1366x768 (most 50" plasmas and LCDs) and you move from "big" to "shocking."

in a dark film with lots of low-aperture shots (blurry) and fast-moving scenes, no, there isn't much difference. But any movie with details and contrast (like say Star Wars, LOTR, crap, Under the Tuscan Sun) benefits GREATLY from higher resolutions and a lack of interlacing from the source. Film is, after all, never interlaced. Even HGTV benefits greatly from HD material. I will actually watch that channel now. and Food Network HD, as well. It's suddenly much more...appetizing.

you don't need a 98" screen to see the flaws in even a SuperBit DVD. by the time you get to 98", any DVD source looks so bad (without a several-thousand-dollar scaler) that it isn't worth watching.

People with a 60" RPTV and SD digital cable know that what they are seeing isn't impressive. It's big, but it's fuzzy and awkward.

my wife could care less about technology, but when i asked her if we should get rid of the HD because it costs too much, she said it was worth it. she wants to get the "platinum" dishnet package for National Geographic HD. If it weren't $20 extra a month, we'd have it right now. and we "only" have a 50" 720p plasma.

12. Malus macrumors 6502

Ya well I just got the new blurayHDdvd player and it supports my 200 inch plasma zinc virtual reality tv that I just got at best buy....

Seriously people, this whole definition stuff is getting out of hand.