compassionate conservatism in action

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 26, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the whitehouse's own transcript, here
    bush making fun of senior's w/ alzheimer's. class all the way!

and just a few lines down, bush displays a bit of his own not-thered-ness:
    huh??

2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Not nearly as classy as George Clooney's crack about Charlton Heston. Of course, to be fair, Clooney never claimed to be "compassionate" so I suppose it's witty and urbane when he makes fun of someone with Alzheimer's Disease.

What about this confuses you? I'm not familiar with the members of the Washington Press Corps, but it seems pretty clear he's calling on a new reporter named "April". For the previous set of questions he'd been talking to a reporter named "Ken".

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

George Clooney -- isn't he that actor guy? Am I supposed to care about what he says for any particular reason?

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Does anyone care that Bush didn't answer the question, or indeed even let it be properly asked?

That's the real issue to me, other than that, I am kinda impressed that Bush was able to joke around unscripted. I don't think the nature of his comments are anything to get worked up about, it's only humor. Still, I am concerned that it was employed as a means to get around answering serious questions.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

A lot of that press conference sounds like typical Bush -- evasion and confusion. But the "senior" comment was majorly dumb. Open mouth, insert foot.

BTW, while I have to admit I found the Clooney remark funny, I agree that it was extremely inappropriate.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

ohhhhhhhh.... i thought he was just uttering the name of a month. in two different languages. still, assuming the reporter is named april, isn't it a little odd he'd then say, "abril?"

"bovine."