compatability problem with mac word and pc word

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by killuminati, Dec 8, 2004.

1. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

If i ever do up a document in word on my mac that has pictures it it (copied and pasted), if i send it to a pc when it is opened in word wher the pictures are supposed to be it says "Quicktime and a tiff decompresser are needed to see this picture". and I know that quicktime is installed but i dont even know what a tiff decompressor is?!?!

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I don't either, but when I send an attachment to a windows user I know in Mail (the application provided with OSx) that there is a check box to make the attachment a windows friendly attachment whatever that means. Also, don't copy and paste the pic into word. There is a way to insert a pic into word either a clip art from the word library or from a file which is what you would want. I think if you go to the menu item "insert" ----->picture ---->file you will find it works right on the pc. Just a hunch. I think when you cut and paste it doesn't embed the pic into the word document.

3. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Let us know how it works...

5. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

When you cut and paste, the picture is most certainly embedded in the document. You Cut and Copy to the Clipboard. You Paste from the Clipboard. The Clipboard does not save objects beyong the next Cut or Copy operation. The problem is that M$ Word does not take responsibility for many common graphic formats available on the Mac. PICT and TIFF are just two of these. IIRC, having QuickTime installed on the Windows machine fixes the problem.

7. efoto macrumors 68030

He said originally that he knew Quicktime was installed on the pc computer. I would agree having quicktime might be smart however I do not think it has to be there...at least ideally it should not be required for a *.doc file.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no need to misrepresent my post, especially with my original post immediately preceding yours. It makes me angry and it makes you look petty. Now to the issue at hand--I cannot agree more that M$ Word should PICT, TIFF, and other graphic formats not supported on the Windows version of its word processor. If Word is cross-platform, Word should be cross-platform. The fact is that it is not. Afterall, Microsoft is Microsoft.

9. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Microsoft Word does support both PICT and TIFF images, but the graphics filters are not installed by default for non-Windows image formats. You can add/remove Office components by clicking on the "Change" button from the Control Panel's Add/Remove Software applet. You will probably need the Office CD to do so.

Having Quicktime installed generally fixes the problem, but again, it is possible that the image components for Quicktime were not installed. Reinstalling Quicktime with the "full" set of options is likely the easiest way to solve this problem.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've got the same problem and as I'm always sending files back and forth between XP and OSX I find that the easiest way to get around it is to drag the picture from a place on your hard drive into the document rather than directly from a website. This usually gets around the problem - but I'm not sure why. From what I've gathered, it's just a problem with OSX.

I've got Mail.app set to always send Windows-friendly attachments but this feature overlooks the TIFF problem. :(

The other option is to go through iPhoto, but this is just plain impractical most of the time.