Compatable G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by G5Unit, Apr 6, 2005.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I have a PowerMac G5 1.8ghz with a Nvidia Geforce Fx 5200. Will Tiger run on it? And also if I bought my G5 in December 2004, can I give it back and buy a new one? Cause I heard that there will be price drops.

2. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

yes, tiger will run perfectly on it, as long as you upgraded your memory from 256 to higher. No you can't give it back and buy a new one, but you can sell it on ebay... there probably will be price drops as well.

3. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

4. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

5. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

ok just wondering. My friend is going to buy a PB G4 when tiger comes out, can I use his tiger disk to install on my compy?

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Unless he buys a family pack than its a brech of copyright..... or something like that... its a no.......

Also don't use the copy that came with his laptop. That CD contains only the right stuff to work on the laptop. It will be funky on a PM..... if i remeber right.... :eek:

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, you can give it to me, and I'll let you buy a new one.

The price protection is good for 10 calendar days and has to be requested within 14 days.

Software Up-to-date Programs, start after the official "XXX is shipping on x day of yy month" announcement. If you buy a machine the day before the announcement, you are SOL.

8. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

hint: if you don't want to get banned, don't talk about pirating software. Sure it'll work, but it's illegal. What you do on your own time is your buisness, and mods don't like it when you bring it in these forums.

Didn't mean to bitch you out, just wanted to keep you from getting banned.

9. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

If you were to buy tiger's retail box the you "can't" wink wink install it on other computers... however, you really can't use his tiger dvd on your computer, cause his will only work on a powerbook.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Tiger will work fine on all G5s, G4s, and most G3s. With xpostfacto, even earlier Macs will work. But officially, most of the ones that work with Panther will work with Tiger. Basically, if you have firewire, it will work. I've even seen basic Core Image features work on a 32MB Radeon 9200.

Not to jump on you too much, but why do so many people think Tiger won't work on their fairly new systems? Do people really think Apple's going to release something no one can use? I mean, again no offense, but they're still selling that machine right now. And other Macs that are considerably slower.

11. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Why, do you work for apple?
    Oh, and thanks pdpfilms, I don't want to get banned. I didn't know.

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Possibly, but that information is not a secret. I have seen that on the Apple website, under support some place.

MW
    SOL PM G5 Buyer that "should" recieve it today