Compatiability issue with Word on Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by newguy, Jan 21, 2005.

1. newguy macrumors member

Came across a strange compatiability issue with Word on Mac and PC. If I make a document on a Mac and have pictures obtained by dragging from Safari into the document, I can't view these pics on a Windows machine. It says something about not supporting Quicktime/TIFF files. There's no problem, however, if I drag these pics to my desktop first, and then into the Word document on my Mac. I think it's an issue of staying as a JPEG. Any idea what's going on with the Safari drag?

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

HAHAHAHA, A couple months ago I posted the exact same topic with the EXACT same title. I thought this mine.

So what I found out you have to do is save the picture from safari, then in word go to insert picture and browse for it.

3. newguy thread starter macrumors member

So there's no way to tell Word to always import as JPEG? Bumber!

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Liar :p

:D

(and then I come back tomorrow to find that a mod has deleted this pointless and somewhat over-smilied post) :rolleyes:

6. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

You really have to much time on your hands, lol

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

My problem really sucks, I had Office v.X and everything was perfect with PC files, now when I open my old files with Office 2004 it doesn't recognize some pictures and I have to open those with v.X, :mad: , MS has no idea on what could be happening, I think I will sell my 2004 copy...

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But that's what weekends are for!

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Just for the record, this same problem has been posted by others fairly recently. To the matter at hand: If this were the only compatibility issue with M$ Word, the world would be a much better place. There is no such thing as a QuickTime/TIFF file; there are only TIFF files. TIFF has long been the preferred file format for scanned images, especially for text and line art. The bottomline is that TIFF is an industry standard format of long standing. It is not an Apple format. Since Word is supposed to be cross-platform, it should include native support for TIFF and other industry-standard formats. That it does not is just Microsoft's loving way of telling you that there really is something not quite right about the Macintosh and that you are a fool for using anything other than Windows. My recommendation is to install QuickTime on your Windows machine and be done with it.

10. KershMan macrumors 6502

I'm not sure installing QuickTime on Windows solves the problem. I have had the same issue with Word 2004 on Mac and Word 2000/2003 on Windows. Even after installing QuickTime on the Windows system the pictures could not be read. I had to go back and export the original TIFF files as JPEG and them reimport them in the Word document.

And, oh by the way, this caused a problem with a grade at school since the document I was working on was homework for my Project Management class. My school uses grad and former students to grade much of the homework and I was hassled for using a Mac instead of a Windows system. He reminded me that all homework was to be turned in from the Windows version of Word (i.e. 2000 or 2003). He said my Mac version was not compatible with the Windows version and had zero patience while I fixed the problem. I had to repeal the grade up to the professor to get things turned around.

And this is a former graduate with a BS in Computer Sciences. Go figure.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Make sure that that you have a complete installation of M$ Office. When I open a Windows file in Word, it goes through a lot of cr@p translating the embedded graphics. However, everything gets translated and displayed properly. Going from the Mac to Windows can be more problematic, as you know. An additional suggestion: Use only file formats that you are absolutely certain will work in Windows. JPEG seems to fill that bill. For other formats, use an application like GraphicConverter to convert them to a tried-and-true Windows formats like BMP. I have also found that saving Word files as RTF helps to ensure that the file you submit is the file that your idiot TA receives.

12. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

That does NOT fix the problem. (and I think he would have tried it considering the message is "Quicktime and a tiff compressor are needed to display this image")

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Welcome to early this morning. Would like a snack or something to drink?

14. waynerrr macrumors newbie

Pictures in word on a mac don't display on a pc

I investigated this and found the solution for me (can't say whether this will sort out the problem for you)

The problem occurs if you drag the image from the internet straight into word. Then the picture will not embed properly. The rule to remember is always drag a picture from the internet to desktop first. It will then embed itself properly

15. waynerrr macrumors newbie

images in word not showing on print preview or when printing on a apple mac applemac

If images in word not showing on print preview or when printing

mac procedure (im sure you can translate this for PC )

1) "word" "preferences"
    2) in the print section make sure include drawing objects box is ticked
    3) if its greyed out (no access to change it) then save document under another name then open new document and follow procedure