compatibility of Leopard + Power mac G5 PPC 2.3ghz (early 2005)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 1984dc, Jan 29, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello everyone here on the forums!

I was wondering if anyone had installed Leopard onto a Power mac G5 2.3ghz PPC (early 2005)?

If so how was the instalation? Did it work straight out of the box? Where there any instalalation tricks or anything i need to know/do before installing?

I would like to move over to Leopard but i would like to get someones confirmation that the leapord works on this particular model before forking out £30.oo on the os cds.

many thanks in advance

dc :apple:

2. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

Leopard works great on G5 machines. If you really can find it for 30 quid jump on it. It usually costs us over $100 here in the US. Just remember that the G5 can only run Leopard, not Snow Leopard.

TEG

3. macrumors 68000

It also needs to be said you cant purchase 10.5 Leopard from Apple. (The 10.6 discs for 29.95 that Apple currently sells wont work on your G5 - they are Intel only).

4. macrumors newbie

I have a late 2005 2.0. I bought 10.5 from Apple a couple of weeks ago for $129 and then grabbed the 10.5.8 combo update from the Apple site. Just call their 800 number, whatever it is in the UK.

Installation was a breeze off the disk then ran the update from a hard drive. You could probably just grab the update after loading Leopard.

The software runs great, I think it's faster than Tiger and definitely has more features. I'm new to macs and this is a great forum.

Good luck!

5. macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

yeh mate, its a great OS for your system...

get it while you can :)

cheers