Compatibility of old office on mac mini

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gadgetgirl85, Jul 29, 2006.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Hi guys I'm just wondering, I have an old copy of microsoft office for mac will this cause any problems installing on a mac mini which I think has Office 2004?

Thanks

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I don't think so.

What version do you have, and why would you want to replace Office 2004 with an older version?

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Mac mini has Office 2004 trial version ya? well I went hunting and found the old office 2001 version I had (I did have a imac years and years ago which turned me off macs until now LOL) so I feel likes its my real "true" mac experience because I heard I got a lemon. It was one of those candy computers

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Oh ok.

As long as Office 2001 works with OS X it should be fine. But you'll know soon enough when you try installing it.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

IIRC, Office 2001 is for OS 9. If you've got an Intel Mac mini, you're out of luck as Intel Macs can't run Classic apps. If it's a PowerPC mini, you may need to install Classic support, but as long as you do that, it should work fine. Office v.X (the version after 2001) was the first OS X compatible Office.

6. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You can't. The new Mac mini is Intel-based. Classic is PPC/68k code. It does not run under Rosetta. If you want to run Office, your best bet is Office 2004. Office 2001 is not an option.

8. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Great now its a tossup between my office and ram LOL I'll have to see how much the proceeds from the old PC spreads when I sell it next week

9. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Just get iWork '06. It's WAYYYYY better.

Or, if you are a pirate, use a certain well known search engine, and search for one of many sites that give you the serial numbers for these products. But it is very illegal.....

(You didn't here it from me):D

10. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i think investing (if you can call it that) in Office 2004 is a good idea. there won't be a new office for a while - MS is probably not going to launch another windows version until a year from now and the next mac version may be years away from that release. iwork is good, too, but doesn't have all the features office does - i.e., no excel and no file swapping between windows/mac users (only an issue if needed by the OP). i have both and i like iwork for presentations but office is good for excel. i'm stuck between word and pages - i can't decide which i like better. bring back wordperfect for mac!