Compatibility question with Mac Mini.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Double 0, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Double 0 macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2005
    East Bay Area
    I'm looking to make the switch from a PC to a Mac.My needs are not at all great.I do alot of research on the internet , need to be able to write letters , work with spreadsheets , EMail ,
    typical easy computor work.I am not into heavy gameing or picture or video editing.... Heck I dont even own a cell phone.

I'm curious if had a Mac Mini BTO with it maxed out , would that be enough for my needs for now and hopefully at least 3 - 4 years into the future ?

My current setup is an old Dell PC that I purchased Dec 1998.Windows 98 , Pentium II 450 MHz processor , 256 MB SDRAM ,17.2 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive , 4.8 X DVD ROM Drive , 16 MB STB nVidia TNT 3D AGP graphics card , A Dell / Trinitron 19in monitor , HP Deskjet 722 Color Inkjet Printer , HP Scanjet 4100 CSE Color Scanner..... I had to dig up the old recipt to know this... a computor guru I am not !

My questions are , would these Monitors , Printer and Scanner all be compatable with the Mac Mini ? Will they all hook up to the Mac Mini ? Would the Mac Mini be a noticable improvement over what I have ? ( it works fine but am getting to the point that I cant even update browsers anymore due to insufficient processor )..... And would the Mac Mini still be usefull 3 or 4 years from now with the direction that technology is going ?... or should I set my sights abit higher up the scale of Mac's ?

My appologies for all these questions , I simply am not conversant in this language.

Thanks for any and all comments !
  2. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

Jun 14, 2004
    Hudson Valley NY
    Sounds like a Mini would be great for you, even one which wasn't maxed out. If you want a built-in screen the iMac would also be good.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    The Mini should be great for the work you describe. It comes with AppleWorks and iLife applications.

Dell / Trinitron 19in monitor - Should be fine

HP Deskjet 722 Color Inkjet Printer - Problem, no Mac drivers at

HP Scanjet 4100 CSE - Problem, no Mac drivers. You may be able to use it with VueScan. But a new scanner is cheap, and it will come with some useful bundled software, perhaps even Photoshop Elements, which is a great value.

You don't need to go BTO - the stock models are fine, and will ship faster. 40 GB is over twice the hard drive space you have now. Go with the stock Apple RAM and upgrade via third party RAM.

If the Dell has a USB keyboard and mouse you might keep those, more likely though it is PS/2. I like the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical - cheap durable and works well. I use a Logitech USB keyboard but an inexpensive WIndows style ($20) keyboard would do.

Will it last three-four years? Depends: What new programs are you going to want to add to it? It will do what you bought it for indefinitely; it's when you want to do a big new thing TM that will eventually lead you to upgrade. However, Macs scale well: Most any Mac will run most any program, some are just faster than others.

4. Double 0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2005
    East Bay Area
    Many thanks to you both.I appreciate the link and all your help and advice.

As of this time I dont see much of a chance of needing much more in the way of complicated useage.In the years I have owned this PC I really havent changed in it's demands much at all. If that stays the same my hopes would be that the Mac Mini would still be compatable with browers and typical internet useage as well as potential OS upgrades.I realize I cant expect the world of the Mini.

I will look into a new Scanner/Printer also.

Again I'm much abliged for the insights .
  5. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    You might want to go for a multifunction printer (Scanner and printer in one). Wal-mart had a good deal with a Lexmark multifunction for ~$80.

The Mac mini will definately be faster than what you have now, and you'll most likely notice it. Macs are more fun to work with anyway.

Oh, and the Mac software is probably more compatible to standards than your current machine is! Especially Safari vs. IE 5.5.
  6. Double 0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2005
    East Bay Area
    I have to agree with the Safari vs IE . Currently I'm useing Netscape 7.2 and am beginning to expirence issues with it.I looked at the 8.0 but it requires more processor than I have.... I used to run IE but it was knocked out by a virus.Various fixes didnt work... but honestly I dont miss it . Netscape was always sort of workable tho never really great for me ... but it worked well enough most of the time .... overall it's just time for a new computor.I am eager to make the switch.....I will take a look at the multi function units as you suggested !
  7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    Another thought in addition to the multi function units is the free printer offer at (it's an Epson C86). It runs for 2 more weeks, but they are constantly running various offers. To find the promotions, go to the store on the apple website, click on SALE in the bottom right, and choose the "Promos" tab. The biggest advantage to the all in one is the copier function. I rarely (actually, never) scan anything, but I copy about 75-100 pages a month - not a lot, but enough to make the feature worth it.

Also a concern with your current printer/scanner is the connection port - is it USB or Parallel? My parents are planning on switching, but they will be in a bit of a bind, as their all-in-one is a bit old and connects through a parallel port.

Regardless, good luck with your decision. You'll be happy no matter what.
  8. Double 0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2005
    East Bay Area

Thank you for the tip on the Apple sight. I will check that out !....