Compatibility question

Discussion in 'Games' started by scarlettechi, Apr 6, 2006.

1. scarlettechi macrumors newbie

Hey Y'all:

I just purchased a new iMac with the duo intel processors.
    I have been using Mac's at school for about a year but my question is this:

I have no idea if all games are pretty much made compatible for Mac and PC or if you need to buy separate versions for the mac. What's the lowdown on all that? And what about games that give the Microsoft specs required on the box but no Mac specs?

Peace

Scarlettechi

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

ACK, Horrible Windows font!!!

Most games are not Mac compatible, and you need to buy a version of a game that is. If the game gives only Microsoft specs, then it is not compatible.

You can use Boot Camp to dual boot Windows and run Windows games if you really really feel desperate.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You have to buy Mac editions of games. However, if you have a spare copy of Windows XP lying around, you can use Boot Camp to dual boot Windows XP and Mac OS X, and then reboot in Windows to run Windows games.

The only games you don't have to buy Mac editions of are games made by Blizzard (like Warcraft 3 or World of Warcraft)- they always include the Mac and Windows version on the same disk.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Phenomenal repeating skillz :rolleyes:

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I thought that avoiding booting in Windows was the original purpose of purchasing a mac... :D :D :p ;)

6. Compatiblepoker macrumors regular

Depends on what games you are talking about. A lot of games that are free that you can download are not compatible. Mostly made for Windows unfortunately. A lot of games, sites, etc will accomidate both Macs and Windows since there is such a majority of PC users going to Macs.