compatible 802.11g PC wireless card w/ Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sobedragonfire, Apr 28, 2005.

1. sobedragonfire macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2005
    Hey, wassup everyone. I am going to get an iMac with an Airport Extreme card and an Airport Express Base station to go with it to have a wireless connection. I also have an HP laptop and I will buy a wireless notebook card to go with it. I was wondering what brand of wireless cards are compatible with Airport Express? I heard that Linksys, and D-link are popular brands, but I am not sure if they work well with Airport Express being used as the router. If someone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
  2. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    Any 802.11b or g cards should be compatible with an airport network although only g cards will work at full speed. The only ones that don't work are 802.11a cards.
  3. sobedragonfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2005
    Oh ok, then. I know now to just get a card that has 802.11g on it. Some of the cards have extra stuff on them like Speedbooster and Extreme-g. Do they work better with Airport Express or is just normal wireless g good enough?
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Nothing like Extreme-G will benefit from a connection with an AEBS -- those are proprietary, so you will only get Extreme-G benefits, for instance, if you use a Linksys router that supports it.

In addition to 802.11g (as opposed to b -- you really should get g, because those cards are really quite inexpensive now), the other thing to look for, if possible is WPA and WEP compliance. Many PC world cards only support WEP, and WPA is really much better. That being said, I'm not 100% sure that WPA on all non-Apple cards will play nice with the AEBS. I found at least one reference that the D-Link which supports WPA will work on an AEBS.
  5. sobedragonfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2005
    Thanks a lot for the help. I got the Airport Express and a Belkin Wireless g Card and it work like a charm. They both support WPA encryption so I have a secure network now.