Compatible Logitech keyboards (or are they?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by richjtg, Nov 25, 2005.

1. richjtg macrumors newbie

As a recent switcher from Windows, I'm looking to replace my present cordless keyboard and mouse setup that doesn't appear to work too well with OS X.

I've grown quite used to multi-buttoned mice, and extra feature buttons/wheels on keyboards and after seeing Logitech 'OS X compatible' keyboards in a local shop, I thought "great".

However, after asking Logitech about compatibility via their nifty online live help feature, I was told that only the standard keys (not the extra feature ones) would work with a mac mini.

Can anyone tell me whether this is true? It seems odd that Logitech keyboards are included on a list of compatible keyboards on the apple website, if not all of the keys would work. :confused:

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I did use the Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard for a little while, and the extra keys and scroll thingy can indeed be mapped to volume, iTunes and so on provided that the Logitech OS X software is installed. I don't know for sure about other keyboard models, but would be surprised if there wasn't similar support. (The only reason I dumped the keyboard is that it was too darned big, it worked fine.)

3. richjtg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply iMeowbot - much appreciated.

Sounds promising! I did think it was a bit strange that a 'compatible' keyboard wouldn't work... I know what you mean about the size of them though! ;)

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've noticed a recent change in Logitech products and it seems as if they're distancing themselves from Macintosh.

The easiest way to tell if the keyboard is completely supported is to look for the Apple and Command symbol on the Alt keys. Others should be compatible but I think too often in the Windows world, you need a new driver to make the keyboard compatible with any system.

5. richjtg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for tip... all the Logitech ones I've seen over here just have Windows markings. :rolleyes:

I'm presently going through the Microsoft range to see what they have to offer. :)