Compilation of powerbook rumors.

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by DavidCL23, Apr 20, 2002.

1. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

First off the "TiBooks in a few weeks!!!!! " discoussion got way off topic so I decided to create a new one. Let me re-cap the rumors I have heard so far (and a little wishful thinking).
    May 6th new powerbook announced, and shipped by MWNY
    800mhz low-end 1ghz high end
    geforce 4 MX 64mb
    pc2100 DDR ram to 1.5gb
    Travelstar 40gb GNX (5400 rpm) on the low-end, and travelstar 60gh 60gbhe super-ultra powerbook
    16" 1600 X 1200 max res, but still very nice when scaled down to any lower resolution
    upgraded speakers
    NEW CASE (to support the screen and much more scratch resistant)
    1yr warranty and 3yr apple care for roughly the current price
    Possible SUPERDRIVE, but doubtful
    $100 price reduction throughout!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Lets hope so!

I really do hope the rumors are true, I'm just dying for that new 1Ghz G4 PowerBook, spec it up with 1Gb-1.5Gb RAM and that 60Gb HDD with 64Mb Video; mmmm....sweet! :D

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

sorry for getting "tibook in a few weeks" thread off balance...that was me, i confess

did someone say 1 ghz tibook?:)

4. DavidCL23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I really do think the next revision of the powerbook will be a 1ghz apollo at LEAST, apple is really falling behind in the pro portable market and a huge jump is just a logical step in the right direction.

5. the wraith macrumors newbie

new tibooks

i just cant see 1 Ghz making it into the laptops yet. we only just got these chips in desktops. have the laptops ever ran at the same speed as the desktops??

1GHz tibooks would kick ass though, i agree!

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: new tibooks

Welcome to the posts.

To answer your question, the most recent occasion I can remember was with the PowerMac G3s "Yosemite", when their top models has speeds of 400 and 450MHz. The fastest Powerbook caught up at 400MHz. Also, the PowerBooks and PowerMacs topped out at 500MHz at around the same time.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

7. Skandranon macrumors regular

But....

But the PowerBooks topped out at 500Mhz G3s not the G4s that the PowerMacs use...

Don't get your panties wet over a 1Ghz TiBook. We won't be seeing one of those for a while.:rolleyes:

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: But....

Right. I meant to say different types of chips. And also, for the G3 vs. G4 PowerBook vs. PowerMac (respectively), the minimum Powerbook for the line of products was a 400MHz. The PowerMac had a low end of a 350MHz G4.

Expect to see an 800MHz Powerbook update, maybe 867MHz. Wait until 2003 for a 1000MHz Powerbook. Can you wait? :)

Any time is a great time for iPod.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If we have to wait until 2003 for a 1Ghz...I don't know if I'll be able to wait; as long as a 800+ Mhz is avaliable.

10. iMax macrumors member

I know that powerbook speeds have never been the same as tower speeds, but remember two things:

1. The Tower is running dual 1Ghz processors, so a powerbook with one would be half the speed;

2. That the powermacs are ready for a major speed increase, possibly G5 (please!) in the next month or so after the release of the powerbook, and if the G5's do come out with dual 1.6 ghz processors, then even if the powerbooks are dual Ghz G4's they will be left in the dust.

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I would love to see the GHz TiBook/PowerBook G4, and when I think about it a little, I don't see it being too much of an issue. Considering how the current line of G4 processors use less power and generate less heat then the ones from just last year. The hard drive sizes are possible. I think that they would put the low end powerbook with a 40GB 5400 rpm drive and the top end at either the 48GB or 60GB (sweeeet either way). 1.5GB of RAM??? Not gonna happen. Where would they shove the third chip slot?? It's crammed with just two as it is (which is all that PowerBooks have ever had). 1GB of DDR/PC2100 or PC2700 RAM WOULD be sooooo sweet..

I can't see the rest of the stuff being a problem though. Increase the screen size and resolution, but keep the ratio the same (to kick the 16" peecee laptop's a$$ :D ). Make the optical drive EITHER the combo or just dvd-rom (for those that don't need or want an internal burner). I would also like to see them drop the memory prices a bit, to be more in line with what you can find outside of Apple. Charging $100 more then the competition is not a good move. For a $25-$50 difference, I would get it installed at Apple, otherwise, I will take standard issue and upgrade it later. Besides the fact that getting one that is not BTO is usually faster (depending on when you order it up).

I am among the people calling for a hard chromed case on the TiBook, which would be sooo sweet. Not only will it be scratch resistant (many times more then the current case), but it will be stiffer and handle heat better. Speakers aren't really an issue for me, since I have some nice headphones that I can just plug in when I need/want to. I would like to see the headphone jack stay positioned where it is though, since that is very convienent.

Maybe they could make the airport card so that you don't have to pull the bottom off the case to install it. THAT would be very nice. Slide it in, just like a regular PC Card, and go with it. That would also allow you to easily move it from one laptop to another.

Just my take on what I hope is soon to come from Apple for their PowerBook line... until it become reality, it is a dream. Just remember to have a change of shorts on hand come MWNY's keynote address, you might need them (or a mop to clean up the drool) :D.

12. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

The Ti sounds fine but for me the problem would be the HD speed. In my Pismo I have a 4xxx something HD speed and I really have problems reproducing videos from it.

I have to inform you I'm working as a VJ and the video performance for me is very demanding, sometimes I have to punch ramdomdly one different quicktime each 3 secunds, that really takes video ram and hard drive performance to the maximum.

13. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

The desktop...

...uses the MPC7455 chip. The MPC7445 is the low power version of it. Apple would be stupid to use the high power desktop chip in a laptop, they were forced to with the 667, but they won't do it again if they can help it. The 7445 maxes out a 800MHz.

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

whoa, are the TiBooks really going to be 1GHz!! i was expecting 800 or 867MHz at WWDC. are you sure that they high-end model will be 1GHz?:eek:

15. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

my conservative side says 800mhz g4 powerbooks will be the only big annoucement at NY.

but what im really thinking is the following:

if apple waits until NY to release a new powerbook then they will have gone nearly a year inbetween updates. this is would be an unacceptable wait unless they have done something big with the line such as any one [or combination] of the following:
    1) new form factor
    2) g5 [the powermac would have to be updated as well] or other next generation chip
    3) DDR [new motherboard]
    4) new battery technology
    5) larger monitor or higher resolution monitor
    6) firewire2

im also thinking there are some trivial or unliley updates that might be nice:
    1) 5400rpm drives across the line [ibm now makes 5400rpm drives as small as 20gb, so even the ibooks could get em]
    2) new video card
    3) backlit keyboard [never gonna happen but people like the idea]
    4) monitor bright enough to use outdoors [sony did it a year or two ago, but again not likley to happen]
    5) new 54mb airport [they're practically giving the darn things away now]
    6) larger keyboard [there so much space on either side!]
    7) better speakers or no speakers

and one absolute must:
    1) apollo chips!!!

well my insane wish list is over with. i have a few friends who are waiting for a new powerbook so i want some kind of update so they keep waiting (and one friend who stopped waiting and just bought a pc) but i will NEVER buy another powerbook unless they get the battery life to match the 10 hours i get with my lombard.

16. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

This is what will happen

Picture this! Apple updates to a 900Mhz TiBook in a couple of weeks with the following specs (reasonable)

667Mhz - 900Mhz (Just behind most of the towers)
    32Mb Graphics Card
    512Mb RAM
    Airport + BlueTooth standard (On one combo card)
    30Gb + 48Gb HD (5300rpm hd's)
    15.2" LCD (Same as now, not sure about larger screens on a laptop)

+++ Maybe, Firewire 2 + USB 2!!!

Then, in summer, ibook gets taken to about 800Mhz G3, 16Mb Graphics etc. Also, Towers get updated to 1Ghz, -->1.4Ghz with DDRAM, USB2 + firewire 2, airport + bluetooth.

I think these predictions are correct! + All will have faster cdrw / combo drives / superdrives

17. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

dual processors doesn't mean double the speed...but I do agree that powermacs are ready to get the G5...just hope at MWNY...and I doubt dual G4 PowerBooks are ever going to come out...it's just not gonna happen...I'd like to see a G5 in the TiBook and PowerMac by the end of this year but the Tibook probably won't see one for a while...I'm just praying for G5 powermacs though...

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Dual chips in Apple's pro laptop will come out once we get a processor that uses less power and generates less heat. Currently the G4 is not capable of filling these shoes. Maybe someday a dual G5, but then again, we still need to get a single G5 - getting ahead of myself.:D

19. SubFredZero macrumors member

Re: Compilation of powerbook rumors.

iginally posted by DavidCL23 [/i]
    First off the "TiBooks in a few weeks!!!!! " discoussion got way off topic so I decided to create a new one. Let me re-cap the rumors I have heard so far (and a little wishful thinking).
    May 6th new powerbook announced, and shipped by MWNY
    800mhz low-end 1ghz high end
    geforce 4 MX 64mb
    pc2100 DDR ram to 1.5gb
    Travelstar 40gb GNX (5400 rpm) on the low-end, and travelstar 60gh 60gbhe super-ultra powerbook
    16" 1600 X 1200 max res, but still very nice when scaled down to any lower resolution
    upgraded speakers
    NEW CASE (to support the screen and much more scratch resistant)
    1yr warranty and 3yr apple care for roughly the current price
    Possible SUPERDRIVE, but doubtful
    $100 price reduction throughout!
    [/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHA, you got to be kidding... no way this tibook is going to come out soon. The idea of a superdrive in a laptop is nuts : nobody could pay it... The current TiBook is already to expencive...

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Re: Compilation of powerbook rumors.

Agreed they are expensive, but then they are top of the range notebooks, if you want a regular notebook then that is what the iBook is for.
    And why is the idea of a SuperDrive "nuts" ? Admittedly it is unlikely that we will see them in the first releases of the new PowerBook line, but they will come, and this will be a good thing.
    Imagine being on holiday with your MiniDV camcorder then loading it up to your TiBook for editing and finally putting it all to DVD before wiping the tape clean for the next days outings.

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

a small enough micron process and control of the p4 wattage has made laptops able to keep up with desktops in the pc world

it is no longer considered a compromise, as far as pc companies are concerned, to use a p4 desktop processor in a pc laptop...it is a common sight nowdays

hopefully, that could be the case for apple, too...one day

...being that every desktop processor could run efficient enough for laptops!

...but then again, some pc laptop reviews think that nearly three hours is an amazing amount of time for a pc laptop battery:p

btw...i love "mobile computing" and "laptop" magazines and they generally love ibook and tibook in their reviews...go check it out!

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Re: Re: Compilation of powerbook rumors.

There have been a lot of reasons I have heard on these boards why a superdrive in a TiBook can't happen, but your reasoning sheds little light on the TiBook's inclusion or non-inclusion of a superdrive, but rather shows your naivete.

Do you honestly believe that because you can not afford something that the doctors, lawyers, IT companies, large fortune 500 companies, government offices, etc. can not afford that same something?

Come on, a pro-level laptop won't be priced too expensive just because it has a superdrive. Just look at Apple's other products. You can design a custom tower with monitor(s) that is priced between ten and twenty grand! A 3-4 grand laptop is no where near that hard to afford.

Grow up, or better yet, hit monster.com and look at the salaries that are paid before you start assuming that everyone makes what you make at your part time job.

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

before i was a tech, i worked in a hospital and clerked at a cpa firm (back in the days i was nuts and wanted to be an llm) and i have not seen the docs or lawyers buy macs, but pcs

but i do see students and starving artists max out credit cards and get powerbooks...i am not that brave...or foolhardy

and of course, being in northern california, i see plenty or spoiled brats with powerbooks and/or super high end pc laptops...to match their new cars their parents bought them before they were old enough to grow pubic hair

am i jealous?

beint 4 decades old...and working, teaching, and going to school constantly, and unable to afford a 3,500 dollar laptop, whatdya think?

if i had $3500 to burn, it goes to my retirement or upkeep of my car...i will most likely be too cheapskate or practical to ever buy a titanium supercomputer...and i just do email, internet, office stuff, and light (non-photoshop level) graphics

i am an ibook type/imac type

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Not quite...

The p4 and Athlon processors inside laptops are Mobile versions. They are not the same ones as used in desktops. They even distinguish between them like so... "Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor-M,". The 'M' being for Mobile aka laptop. AMD has the "AMD® Athlon™ 4", the 4 being the laptop/mobile version of the Athlon processor.

This is information that I though was common knowledge, guess I was mistaken about that.

25. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Dont the mobile chips power down to a lower frequency when the laptop is not plugged down into the mains??? If I am correct, thats quite poor.