1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

compilation or original album?

Discussion in 'Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback' started by artifex, Nov 1, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

artifex

If we're recommending a favorite song by an artist, and it appears in identical (or nearly) form on both the original album and on a compilation album (or two, or three...), which is the preferred way of listing it in this db?

I've been doing it both ways, depending on if I really like most of the original album itself, or prefer to get people to look at a broader anthology of an artist's work. But this isn't consistent with the idea of using the db to link everything together.

2. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

yeah...

I guess I would prefer people link to the original album.

Alternatively, I suppose it could be possible to link different versions of songs togehter somehow.

arn

3. macrumors 6502a

Jetson

If I notice that a track has been remastered and sounds better on a compilation than the original album, I link to the better sounding version. Of course, if the original album has been remastered that's the best choice.

4. macrumors newbie

Definitely the original album is best if the audio quality is the same/superior. That lets you hear the song in context to the songs that were recorded with it.

5. macrumors 68020

SeaFox

I think it would be good to list a track with links to both albums (noting whichever is the original with an asterisk or something) unless the later version has been remastered and sounds different.