Compiling Source Code and Developer Kit on Mac OS X CD

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Laplace, Aug 12, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Aug 14, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    Hey guys, for some reason my OS X CD with the developer tools on it isn't loading, is there any where I can get all that stuff online? I need whatever I need to compile some source code.

On another note, is compiling source code as easy as 3 command line commands? The source code in question is the subsim Danger from the Deep if you're curious. I've never compiled source code before, but I don't consider myself completely inept at this kind of stuff either.

Thanks in advance,
  2. macrumors 68030

Sep 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Most of my compiles consist of clicking a button :p
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    There is nothing more humbling to a seasoned computer user than trying to compile some code for the first time. Especially via a command line.

If you go to you should be able to sign up as a "Student" level user for free (use your Apple ID i.e. the same username/pw as the iTunes music store) and can download Xcode 2.4 - all 940-some megs. worth.

Hope you have fast broadband!
  4. macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    It's not student its "free" membership you want.
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 14, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    Alright guys, I downloaded the 940 megs and installed everything (all packages). Then I also downloaded scons ( a compilation package) which is required in the readme to compile this game. so when I try to compile I get the following error.

iChads-Powerbook:~/Desktop/dangerdeep-0.1.1 ichad$ scons -k
    scons: Reading SConscript files ...
    Compiling for MacOSX
    Install binary path: /usr/local/bin
    Install data path: /usr/local/share/dangerdeep
    Using data dir: /usr/local/share/dangerdeep
    Checking for C header file gl.h... no
    GL library must be installed!

But I am pretty sure that the GL library is installed, because I even went back to that Xcode Tools package and re-installed the specific OpenGL SDK package. So whats the beef? Shouldn't that package correctly install my GL library? Is there a way for me to check to see if my GL library is correctly installed and maybe scons is messing something up? Thanks in advance.