Compiling Universal Binaries... anyone try it yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by DavidLeblond, Jun 12, 2005.

1. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I'm rebuilding one of my Cocoa programs so that it makes use of Core Data. So far I'm almost done, and I haven't even had to add one bit of code yet... sweet!

Anyway, on a whim I decided to check the little Intel box and compile it. This is what I got:

Code:
    /usr/bin/ld: warning /System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Cocoa cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)
    /usr/bin/ld: warning fat file: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/../../../libmx.dylib does not contain an architecture that matches the specified -arch flag: i386 (file ignored)
    /usr/bin/ld: warning fat file: /usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/../../../libSystem.dylib does not contain an architecture that matches the specified -arch flag: i386 (file ignored)
    /usr/bin/ld: warning fat file: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib does not contain an architecture that matches the specified -arch flag: i386 (file ignored)
    /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
    ___keymgr_dwarf2_register_sections
    __cthread_init_routine
    _atexit
    _errno
    _exit
    _mach_init_routine
    _NSAddressOfSymbol
    _NSLookupAndBindSymbol
    _abort
    ___sF
    _fflush
    _fprintf
    _memcpy
    _memset
    _pthread_once
    __keymgr_get_and_lock_processwide_ptr
    __keymgr_set_and_unlock_processwide_ptr
    __keymgr_unlock_processwide_ptr
    _calloc
    _free
    _getsectdatafromheader
    _malloc
    _NSAddImage referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _NSCreateObjectFileImageFromFile referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _NSGetSectionDataInObjectFileImage referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _NSHasModInitObjectFileImage referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _NSInstallLinkEditErrorHandlers referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _NSLinkModule referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _NSLookupAndBindSymbol referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _NSSymbolDefinitionCountInObjectFileImage referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _NSSymbolDefinitionNameInObjectFileImage referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    ___sF referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    __dyld_get_image_header referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    __dyld_get_image_name referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    __dyld_image_count referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    __dyld_register_func_for_add_image referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _abort referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _fprintf referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _getenv referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _getsectbynamefromheader referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _malloc referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _strcat referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _strcmp referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _strcpy referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _NSAddressOfSymbol referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _NSFindSectionAndOffsetInObjectFileImage referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _NSIsSymbolNameDefined referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _fwrite referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    _calloc referenced from ZeroLink expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

What gives?

2. shambolic macrumors regular

From what I've read on the Apple developer lists, ZeroLink doesn't work with Intel targets. Disable it (or change your build style from Development to Deployment, that worked for me) and your universal binary should build successfully.

3. jcgerm macrumors member

Well, you're using the wrong SDK. The 10.4 Universal SDK doesn't install by default. If you did install it make sure you change the SDK you're using to "10.4 Universal". It'll compile, but you won't be able to test it until you have access to an Intel Mac.

As far as the ZeroLink comment, you're right. Intel Macs don't use ZeroLink, but you don't have to mess with the ZeroLink settings at all. Xcode is smart enough to know what's going on in that respect.