Complain all you want about Wintel...IBM makes some...

Discussion in 'Community' started by SiliconAddict, Feb 20, 2004.

1. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

We just got our latest batch of IBM T40 laptops in Thursday. We recently migrated from Dell laptops to IBM and I'm struck by the quality of these suckers. Well constructed with innovative designs slapped into the system here and there. Example: The latest systems we have, have a built in motion sensor, that you can customize, If the laptop accelerates at a certain speed, such as a drop, it stops and locks the hard drive to avoid a HD crash. The system's HD bay even has built in shock absorbers in the event the unthinkable happens.

IBM X40

• 14.1" display
    • Intel Pentium M 1.3Ghz
    • 512MB RAM
    • 40GB 5400RPM hard drive
    • Built in CF II slot. Read: IBM microdrive support.
    • Removable DVD drive (Upgradable to CD or DVD RW or R drive.)
    • 1" Thick and 4.9LBS

The best part? I've stress tested these laptops. 3 hours minimum and that's with audio on full and playing a DVD, but I've gotten 4 to 4.5 hours off of one of these bad boys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My point since this is after all a Mac forum. Anyone else think it would be a sweet idea if IBM's and Apple's R&D teams collaborated in a joint laptop development project? *drools*

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I love Thinkpads, best (x86) laptops on the market IMO (we just got some T41's in...hmmmmm :D).

3. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Yeah, they make all around solid x86 laptops, my college has a deal with them for incoming freshmen to get them at a great price through the school :D ...however, i opted for a powerbook instead (and was duly annoyed when the 800/1000 models came out 2 months after i started school)

4. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Good quality probably but there are still two problems

1) Windows

2) Design

I'm sorry, but now that Apple has shown that a laptop doesn't have to look like a cheap piece of black plastic, i just can't stomache the idea of using one of those laptops. I know that performance should be more important than style, but unless the stylish computer can't do what I need it to, i'd rather have it even if its a little underpowered.

5. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I agree that all windows machines are not created equal. I even think Dells are pretty decent.

Unfortunately, nothing can compare to OS X. Once you go Mac you'll never go back. :cool:

6. tiktokfx macrumors regular

PowerBook Duo 2400.

The result of Apple and IBM collaboration on design.

7. tiktokfx macrumors regular

Or rather, just PowerBook 2400. They didn't call them Duos.

[​IMG]

8. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I got a 2 ghz t30 laptop at work not that long ago. its slow for every day tasks. I don't doubt for number crunching, it would be great, but for every day stuff, you know, like opening my email client and things like that, my 233 mhz iMac is a lot, lot faster. But thats a windows problem. As far as the laptop itself, its not pad, fairly well designed. the mouse button stuff is cumbersome, though I actually kind of like the eraser tip pointing device. its pretty well constructed, but battery life is pretty average at best and its not particularly thin or anything. some of the materials are really cheap (nitpicky, but the bar under the monitor where it lights up to show things like the battery light is this cheap self adhesive film that is obviously going to come off in the not too distant future). Pretty good machines, but not enough to really impress me with anything.

9. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i've always called the thinkpads the powerbooks of the pc world, i love thinkpads, incredibly well built (used titanium well before the powerbooks)

10. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

thinkpads are ugly as sin.. great hardware inside though.. ive actually got a thinkpad that i threw linux somewhere around my apartment..

just refuses to die..

11. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Agreed, although for corprate use its ok to be ugly I guess.

12. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

"IBM's X40 ThinkPad also features an extended battery life. A single system battery provides about 3.5 hours of standard use. " I got that from the http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3308621
    website. I dunno man, 3.5 hours is about what a 15 inch gets and the CPU is faster but not outragesly ...its a 1.4ghz Pentium-M... for $1700...which is cheaper then the 15 inch powerbook I guess... but your missing out on the extra screen real estate and some other stuff... I dunno, probably still a better money/power ratio for companies I'd imagine. The organization that I do computer work for has compaq laptops to loan out to needy families... omg, I lost count the amount of times I had to reformat the harddrive on those Armadas... Windows XP is a virus/bug/spyware magnet.

13. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

It does seem like a lot of windows users seems to download stuff that installs viruses or spyware on their machines.

I know most people wouldn't want to blame Microsoft for this but I think they could provide some basic protection against this stuff like is afforded in anti-virus software but I guess MS just doesn't care.

Back on Topic:
    I have never used an IBM laptop, but I never have liked their pointer device but I guess that is just preference.

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

How about this...

Apples Design Team... + Apples Hardware Team + IBM's Pricing Team...

I mean the prices are just outrageous.

If Apple makes a generic computer like the thinkpad, I would be happy, if it costs the same and has the same apple components I don't need Titanium... or Aluminum.

give me a generic case, good reliabality and parts and give me the OS that I want and thats a perfect machine.

15. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

i thought the pentium m was faster than the p4m. and the p4m is a hell of a lot faster than anything motorola makes.

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

after much of the 1990s with terrible gear, ibm definitely got their act together

even though they look ugly by today's standards, they were not so bad looking compared to other pc laptops just a few years ago...anyway, i would rather have a solidly built ugly ibm than a pretty pc laptop that is too fragile

if money were no object and i had to have a rugged machine, a panasonic toughbook would be great

but for looks and ruggedness, nothing comes close to the laptops apple has been making...apple could take the easy road and make an ugly machine with a mediocre operating system but then if they did that, there would be nothing that makes a mac standout so much

when you are a company with an installed base of only 2% percent of all the computers worldwide, then it's a good idea to have something stand out in as many ways as possible

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the pentium m is faster mhz for mhz, ghz for ghz, than the pentium 4 and if there ever was a 2 ghz pentium m, it would be by far the fastest mobile in the world

intel has really scored a hit with the pentium m processor and its low power operation and incredible speed

18. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I don't know, I just don't see apple putting out a computer without spectacular industrial design. It's part of what people associate with the company and its products, and that kind of association can be quite important.

19. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Agreed...the only reasons I buy apple

...pretty design
    great looking lcd
    tends to have less problems then compaq
    great software/osx
    hands free operation

20. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I agree on the quality of IBM's. Wish I'd bought one of those instead of this OmniBook from HP. What a peice of crap. ThinkPads are like the Mercedes of the PC world. I'll be needing a PC notebook soon, so IBM it is.

21. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Hey now... I work for Compaq doing tech support. For the most part the problem with Compaq computers is their users. They are relitavely solid overpriced machines.

But even though im doing Compaq support, give me a Mac anyday...

22. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

While I would agree that Compaq's business lines, like DeskPros, Prosignias, Proliants, Armada's, etc are nice machines, the Presarios are just plain garbage. Seriously. Seriously underpowered power supplies is the biggest fault, followed by their inane insistence on not using CPU fans has them ranked #2 on the units sold/units brought in for repair list. Emachines have a higher service rate, but the ONLY problem I have ever had with an Emachine (other than lightning damage, I don't hold manufacturers responsible for acts of God) is failed power supplies.
    The part I don't understand is Presarios use decent parts for the most part, like Microstar motherboards.. but they still fail when you put them in a Presario. (Blame the power supply again) If you have an Emachine or a Presario, I would seriously consider going out and buying a new power supply just as general practice. Save yourself the unexpected downtown and grief. I suggest the same, by the way, for the minitower HP Pavilions.

23. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Who says the Thinkpads are less expensive? I own a G4 1.25ghz 15.2" PB. Specs are as follows-
    80GB HD 4200
    512RAM
    SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-R)
    Wireless extreme (b/g)
    Bluetooth
    USB 2.0
    FireWire 400/800
    Gigbit Ethernet
    64VRAM (Radeon 9600 mobile)
    wieght = 5.5
    Fiber Optic Backlit Keyboard

Total for me 2599, after EDU, 2299 (gotta love the edu discount :D)

I just build to order a T41 series with a 14" (don't see a bigger option) screen with the specs of my own Computer.

80GB 4200rpm Hard Drive
    ThinkPad 8X DVD-ROM Ultrabay Slim Drive (Is this the equivalent to a superdrive?)
    32VRAM (only option)
    IBM 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter
    BlueTooth
    512MB PC2700 CL2.5 DDR SDRAM SODIMM
    USB 2.0
    Gigabit Ethernet (had to add)
    Weight 4.9 + additions
    LED light on screen to eluminate keyboard

Total Price
    $2,553.50

(help me out if I am configuring this wrong, I'm not starting a war, this is just something I've been meaning to do for a long time)

The differences I see are-
    PowerBook vs Thinkpad T41
    G4 1.25 vs 1.3 Pentium M (I think the M wins here, right?)
    15.2" vs 14"
    USB 2.0 + FireWire800 vs USB2.0 (couldn't find anything about FW on the thinkpads, is this true?)
    64VRAM vs 32VRAM (am I correct in thinking 32 is as high as you go in the thinkpad? I couldn't find an option for more)
    Backlit Keyboard:)D) vs LED light on screen
    Sexy vs Plastic Brick

So am I comparing these things wrong? How much faster is the Intel M 1.3ghz chip vs the pos 1.25Moto chip?
    No, you can't get a cheap Mac. But I've always believed, and I think I've proved to myself once again, that Apple just ships more features and cutting edge tech with the standard PB. Yes you can get a faster proc, but you have to add wireless/gigabit ethernet/ect all things that come standard on a Powerbook.
    Yes, Apples are Expensive, but feature for feature I don't think the gap is as wide as people claim.

Tyler
    Earendil

ps
    you'll note I left shipped software out of the equation :rolleyes:

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

two things...first, if you look at thinkpads in general compared to apple made laptops, the thinkpads are cheaper...try some other configurations

second, the pentium m is the best mobile pc chip on the market and is way faster than other pc chips or the G4 chip used in mac laptops...and the pentium m uses less power...on the issues of mobile processors, the pentium m is the best in the industry

...and as a rule, i prefer motorola, ibm, and amd chips to intel's offerings most of the time

...and for its time, before the pentium m, the transmeta crusoe was the battery life champion and a great mobile processor for small laptops

25. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Originally posted by jefhatfield
    two things...first, if you look at thinkpads in general compared to apple made laptops, the thinkpads are cheaper...try some other configurations

My point wasn't that "in general" Thinkpads are cheaper. "In general" the whole PC market is less expensive. What I was trying to point out is that if you add up the features (aside from the proc), the Thinkpad comes realy close to the same price, and is still missing things like a 64mb Video card, and FW800, and 1.2 inches of real-estate. Is there a different class notebook beside the IBM Thinkpad T41 that holds up better to the PB feature to feature for less money?

second, the pentium m is the best mobile pc chip on the market and is way faster than other pc chips or the G4 chip used in mac laptops...and the pentium m uses less power...on the issues of mobile processors, the pentium m is the best in the industry

This is what I thought. So I suppose it's a trade off, proc/battery for features. But once the G5PBs come out, That issue should go away as well. So as long as you want what the PB has to offer, you wouldn't appear to be any less expensive and comparable option on the PC side of the board.

Someone please correct me. This was just my quick observation at the IBM.com store. I have a number of PC nerd friends all going to college and getting notebooks. They all galk at the price of my PB, but at the same time they don't have as big a HD, 64vram, wireless-g ect ect, all things that raise the price a great deal.

Tyler
    Earendil

ps
    Does Apple have the hindge/closure lock on the powerbooks patened or something?!! It's such a smooth and sweet design, and no other laptop I have seen has emulated it yet, they all have hooks that are fully exposed.